How to crochet in center post?

Elorahd

Question

Working a new pattern and not understanding what they mean.

Rnd 3: Ch 7 (counts as tr and ch 4 through- out), dc in 4th ch from hook, [sk next 3 sts, tr in next st, ch 4, dc in center post of tr just worked] 7 (8, 9, 10) times, sl st in beg ch-4 sp to join—8 (9, 10, 11) ch-4 sps.

How do I dc in center post of tr?

I've done a search but can't find anything on this. Pics/videos would be helpful.

11 answers to this question

what pattern is this exactly?  is there any further explanation at the beginnning of the pattern, or in the front or back of the book, if it is in a book?  

I imagine this is actually rather simple, just stick your hook into the post of that stitch as you would into the top of a stitch normally.  But it would help to know where in the post to do it.  

The pattern is called Umami Shrug. It's in an issue of Crochet magazine. There aren't anymore instructions on where to actually put this stitch but I'm not even understanding what a "post" is. I'm using black yarn so it's kind of hard to see the breakdown of the stitches.

the post of the stitch is the main part of the stitch.  I'll see if i can find an illustration of "stitch anatomy" for you.  

Black yarn will definitely make it harder to see  :tired  the sts.  

Also will see if I have that magazine.  

Ok. I saw the diagram but couldn't really make heads or tails of it. I'm still confused about where this post is. Because the way it looks, I've basically got a chain from doing the triple, not like I have a stitch with a post like in the diagram you posted. Ugh. I don't know. Maybe this is too hard for me. :(

Look at it this way:  you make a triple.  then you make some chains that basically come out of the top of the triple.  now you will bend those chains to the side and make a double into the side of the triple.   if you are still confused about what is the post of the triple, look at the link i posted.  

The row starts with a chain 7 and a double into the 4th chain.  now, the triple is just the same as the chain4.  

I swatched it and here are photos.  ignore the beginning chain, that does not look like the pattern.  

post-10356-0-41122800-1402709648_thumb.jpg

right to left:  ch7 and dc into 4th ch; tr, ch4, dc into post of tr; tr, ch 4. 

post-10356-0-90293900-1402709664_thumb.jpg

shows position of hook inserted into post of tr to do the dc there.  sorry that is not more clear, best i could do w/ only 2 hands lol

post-10356-0-29710000-1402709682_thumb.jpg

dc into post of tr completed.  

Archived