Help with pattern

Clairejones

Question

Hi,

Just teaching myself how to crochet and am confused with a pattern.

I am making a blanket, and have 'cast on' 70 chain stitches. The foundation row says to then work 2tr in 4th ch from hook (which I have done) then to *sk 2ch, 3tr, 2ch, 3tr in next ch, rep from * to end.

I don't know whether I am supposed to skip the next 2 chain stitches and crochet the following stitches into the 3rd chain stitch or something else entirely.

Any explanations would be much appreciated. Let me know if you need any other information.

Thanks!

3 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

sk 2ch, 3tr, 2ch, 3tr in next ch 

means to skip 2 ch, and do (3tr, 2ch, 3 tr) all in the next chain.  repeat this all the way across the row.  

Thank you! Amazing it looks like it's supposed to :)

Row 2 now has me confused (I have to repeat this for the rest of the blanket so don't worry about questions throughout!)

It says... Row 2: 3ch, 2tr in same st, *3tr in next ch - 2 sp, rep from * to end, 3 tr in top of turning ch from row below.

Do I crochet the 3ch and 2 tr into the first stitch after the turning chain? Also, the foundation row has curled itself up as I've gone along, will this uncurl as I continue with the pattern or do I need to do the first row of 70 ch stitches looser?

Thanks, sorry for all the questions!

Yes, the 3ch takes the place of the first TR (UK terms I assume), so the next 2 TR complete the 3-stitch group of 3.

Often the foundation chain, sometimes also the first row will curl a little.  This should straighten itself out after a row or 2.  You might have to make a determination if you think the foundation is too tight after you are a few rows into the project.  

There are many ways to work into the initial chain, none are wrong but they look and act a little different.  The prettiest way is to work into the 'back bump' of the chain, but this tightens the chain up a little; it helps to make the chain with a hook 1 size bigger than the piece, then switch to the right size hook to start the first row.

Archived