Crocheted Ribbing - how many ways?

crochetfun

Question

If you want to create ribbing for the cuff of a mitten, socks, sweaters etc. or just have a ribbed effect on a scarf, how many ways can you do that?

I am familiar w. backloop sc,

FPDC/BPDC,

any other way?

5 answers to this question

There is one I used on my Lil' Darlin' Pattern, where you make the item (sleeve in this case) and add the ribbing without breaking the yarn, make a chain of 5 (or however many you want the ribbing to be), then slip stitch back down the chain and slip stitch in the next 2 stitches on the garment, then turn your work and single crochet in the back loops of the chain.

Not easy to explain this without a pattern. Check out the ribbing part of this pattern if you'd like to see what I'm talking about.

http://bythehook.blogdrive.com/archive/185.html

If you want to create ribbing for the cuff of a mitten, socks, sweaters etc. or just have a ribbed effect on a scarf, how many ways can you do that?

I am familiar w. backloop sc,

FPDC/BPDC,

any other way?

Well, I've made fingerless gloves, and it's like ribbing. just going back and forth, crocheting in the back loops. It does make a nice, stretchy feel.

Another fingerless glove pattern, for kids said to alternate front and back post double crochet for a ribbing effect, but i didn't like this way. It makes it too bulky.

My favorite is the sc or hdc in BLO. I've also done sl st in BLO every row. It got really tight and irritating and wasn't stretchy at all.

I just learned a "new" one last night from a really old pattern book. It's done sort of like an afghan stitch~start with a chain of desired length, draw up a loop in 2nd and each chain, take off in afghan stitch manner (draw through 1 loop, then by 2s the rest of the way), *ch 1, then sl st in each vertical bar across, turn and draw up a loop in back loop of 2nd slip stitch from hook and each across, take off as before (draw through 1 loop, then 2 across to end). Repeat from *

My favorite is the sc or hdc in BLO. I've also done sl st in BLO every row. It got really tight and irritating and wasn't stretchy at all.

I just learned a "new" one last night from a really old pattern book. It's done sort of like an afghan stitch~start with a chain of desired length, draw up a loop in 2nd and each chain, take off in afghan stitch manner (draw through 1 loop, then by 2s the rest of the way), *ch 1, then sl st in each vertical bar across, turn and draw up a loop in back loop of 2nd slip stitch from hook and each across, take off as before (draw through 1 loop, then 2 across to end). Repeat from *

BLO slip stitch (and slipstitch crochet in general ) creates a a very dense fabric.

It is fabulous for potholders/hotpads. I do it regularly for that purpose.

Thanks for posting the "new one"! I love trying different stitches. It sounds a bit complicated, but I won't really know until I have hook and yarn in hand:)

Archived