Pattern Help! Am I really stupid?

owens3116

Question

Hi all

I have brought a vintage pattern of Etsy, and im fairly new to crochet im struggling to understand it - I need it to be very simple for me to understand. Its only a chicken egg cosy that i want to make for my daughter. 

Would any of you more experienced peeps be able to help me please?

x

13 answers to this question

Also when i make the head i have two round circles 15sc each, however when you join sides its asking you to do 2 sc , sc but only end with 16sc?

On the body

Stsiches at base of head, ch 2 2 dc in eac of nxt 4 st, st 1 dc seam? Then do i just continue round with the other 4 dc? Then join with a

Slp st?

Sorry confused !

Vintage patterns can be very difficult to read.  They make the assumption that the crocheter already knows the shorthand of the time.  They usually don't spell out the directions very clearly.

RoseRed is right - vintage patterns can be hard to understand. 

This one's not too bad. I just made one to test it out; it is a little bit off from what the picture shows for it, so I'm not sure I did everything exactly right but it came out close enough I'd be happy with it. 

Also when i make the head i have two round circles 15sc each, however when you join sides its asking you to do 2 sc , sc but only end with 16sc?

On the body
Stsiches at base of head, ch 2 2 dc in eac of nxt 4 st, st 1 dc seam? Then do i just continue round with the other 4 dc? Then join with a
Slp st?

Sorry confused !

For the head when they tell you to join the two sides, you will hold both pieces together and work through the stitches on each of them to join them as just one flat circle. That's why you end with "only" 16 sc. 

On the body, when they say to 1dc in the seam, that's really odd wording for that part. I just considered it "in the next stitch" - up to this point you have been joining the two round head pieces; you will still be working through both pieces for those 4 stitches and then you need to do one more dc which ends up falling into the first sc of the round that joined the two circles as one. Does that make any sense? 

When you join with a slip stitch to the first dc of the round, the piece is going to look kind of weird; it sort of folds over itself a bit. I'm not sure how to explain it but can say even though it will seem weird, just do what it says and it will work. 

Edited to add: I forgot to mention that on the "comb" portion of the pattern, the * for the repeat is misplaced, it should be before the ch3, not after.

Also edited to add a picture of the one I just made, so you can see it ought to work out (even if not perfectly/precisely like the picture) - I just popped it on top of a perfume bottle. Cause it was close. lol

post-45165-0-66914000-1396976069_thumb.jpg

owens3116, on 07 Apr 2014 - 14:27, said:

On the body

Slp st?

Sorry confused !

I don't know if this is right but it's what I get when I do it

When you join them do 2 sc in next  st then a sc in each of next 2 st, sc in one etc untill 16, leaving the 4 stitches open then  ch 2, 2 dc in each of 4 sts, then  put the dc in the seam and then turn do 2 dc in each of 4 sts on other side then join    

Edited as ch 2 had been left out  edited for better directions

post-10430-0-18755600-1396996295_thumb.jpgpost-10430-0-47639100-1396996362_thumb.jpgI

Edited for pictures and content       I figured out what I had wrong and am redoing it, please disregard other pictures

post-10430-0-50401600-1397053167_thumb.jpg

On the body
Slp st?

Sorry confused !

Starting over I knew there was something I was overlooking and it's  better now. After you do the 16 sc leave those next 4 sc open and ch 2, then do the 2 dc in each of four stitches in the one side only leaving the others open, dc in seam turn then do 2 dc in each of 4 stitches on the other side then join. This way it is on both sides. 

post-10430-0-69920700-1397053472_thumb.jpg

attachicon.gifDSCN4319.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN4319.JPGattachicon.gifDSCN4320.JPG

Starting over I knew there was something i was overlooking and it's  better now. After you do the 16 sc leave those next 4 sc open and ch 2, then do the 2 dc in each of four stitches in the one side only leaving the others open, dc in seam turn then do 2 dc in each of 4 stitches on the other side then join. This way it is on both sides. 

I knew there was something I had missed/not done quite right with the one I made, and this would be it. I just didn't give it too much thought because it still turned out fairly well & cute so I called it good enough. lol I will have to make note of this on the pattern for future reference. =) 

I knew there was something I had missed/not done quite right with the one I made, and this would be it. I just didn't give it too much thought because it still turned out fairly well & cute so I called it good enough. lol I will have to make note of this on the pattern for future reference. =) 

Yea it kept haunting me as I knew there was somehing I was missing too.  Yous is cute. I think the pattern didn't give enough info but then the older ones didn't often.

post-10430-0-82885800-1397077597_thumb.jpgpost-10430-0-47495100-1397077622_thumb.jpg

Hi all

I have brought a vintage pattern of Etsy, and im fairly new to crochet im struggling to understand it - I need it to be very simple for me to understand. Its only a chicken egg cosy that i want to make for my daughter. 

Would any of you more experienced peeps be able to help me please?

I finally got it done, I seem to be slowing down lately wonder if I can blame it on aging.

I have had to remove the image of the pattern that was uploaded in the original post. Due to copyright laws, our forum policies state that members can only upload images to which they own the copyright.

Instead of posting scanned images of patterns, please post a link to the pattern or information about where it was published. If it's a free pattern, people can go look at it on the copyright owner's website to be able to help you. If it's a purchased pattern, those who own the pattern will be able to help you.

Archived