Ideas

Misty Lucas Cma

Question

I will be attending a women's conference in April and I would like to crochet a small bracelet with the word "Original" on it. However, I'm unsure of the best technique to use to crochet it. I was thinking of trying Tunisian, but over never done it and I would like to use 2 colors. What technique would you recommend I use? I'm thinking I wouldn't want it more than an inch tall.

2 answers to this question

I'd suggest making it out of crochet thread (size10 thread, US 7 hook).  Would be easiest in tapestry technique (just sc, but you carry the unused color under the stitches of the active color, like working over a tail).  See Tapestrycrochet.com.

You would be surprised how many rows and columns you need to spell something out in crochet, that is legible.  The smallest fonts are about 7 rows high, and they aren't particularly legible.  More legible fonts are 10 or more stitches high.  And for so many letters in, say worsted weight you'd have a headband or belt not a bracelet.

I haven't done that much tunisian, and none at all in thread or colorwork.  You'd need different hooks than usual (no taper or finger hold). 

Google alphabet charts, there are a lot of them out there. 

Another idea, you could just crochet it in 1 color and surface slip stitch crochet the words freehand over the stitches. http://www.crochetspot.com/how-to-crochet-surface-crochet-or-surface-slip-stitch/  This is a good way to cram more letters in a space that would be hard to do with a graphed alphabet, and it also works nicely with 'script' versus block letters, because you have to cut the yarn/thread each time you 'lift the pen' so to speak.

Archived