Crochet slippers pattern help

pattyb854

Question

Hi. I hope someone here can help me.  I stuck up a conversation with a lady in the craft aisle.  She was telling me of a pattern she uses to make slippers.. She said you make a square with any type of stitches.  She said she does it though in single stitch.. She took a piece of paper and showed me how to fold it up and then slip stitch it, well for 2 days I have been working on this.. My problem is right in the beginning  with the chain.. She said just make a chain the length of your foot.. ( my size is 7 )..I came up with a length that would fit Bigfoot.  Has anyone ever made slippers from a pattern like this. And if so approx how long was your chain.. It sounded easy, little did I know. lol.. I tried to google it and I got patterns for granny squares.. Not what I was looking for. Thanks , I hope someone here can help me..she showed me the pics on her phones and they looked really nice of the ones she has made..

Pat

4 answers to this question

Try making the chain a little shorter, so it might come to the base of your big toe. The square should stretch over your toes without a problem. If you're normally a tight crocheter, work loosely. The back loop only single crochet square gives you ribbing of course so it stretches a lot when you put it on. You can also knit a garter stitch square about 7" on a side and use that for most women's feet because it's so stretchy. The beading row can e as plain or as fancy as you want, and I've had good luck making the ties out of elastic yarn so they don't have to be untied.

A lot of people like the "square" slippers because they pack flat and can even be carried in a purse or tote.  

Archived