So much trouble with Granny Squares!

Catherine Melone

Question

Hi everyone,

I`ve been crocheting for a while but for some reason have a lot of trouble with granny squares and other motifs. They never look right - kind of sloppy, even after they`re blocked. It`s even worse when I try and change colours! I`ve tried using a smaller hook to tighten up my stitches but it doesn`t work. Does anyone have suggestions for me?

Thanks!

Cam

4 answers to this question

​I agree!  We're not sure what the problem is.  Is the shape going "wonky" (sideways)?  That can be fixed by turning each row. Are the stitches looking too loose? If you are using a very soft yarn, it can sometimes look stretched, and uneven.  We really need a picture to help you!

pic would be helpfull, I agree, maybe if you are chaining 2 or 3 between sets of doubles, you should shorten that up, to tighten up the square a bit, and do the corners as 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, and only chain one on the four sides between sets....Hope this helps, I have even at times, skipped the ch one between clusters on the sides, completely, it just helps tighten and solidfiy things better, for me anyway, hope it helps, there are as many ways to make a granny, as there are people that make grannys, lol you tube has a few good tutorials, check those out...........

Archived