Call for Submissions: 50 State Squares

pamdaley

Are you the type of crocheter who can “wing it” when you want to make something?  Do you just “make it up as you go along” but you really don't care about writing patterns down?  Then perhaps you’d like to participate in a new project I’m developing.

I would like to put together a pattern book for “state squares” – each square will be designed to pay tribute to or make you think of a specific state.  (Think along the lines of the state quarters.)  Maybe the square would have a simple rendition of the state flower or bird?  Or something that makes you think of that state – gold rush for California, peaches for Georgia, etc.  Something other than just the outline of the state shape (although you could certainly incorporate an outline into the design). 

Sound interesting?  Here’s how to submit if you’d like to be a part:

• Your idea for a state square – it can be sketched out or you can make one and send me a picture of it.  If you're not sending a picture of a completed square, give me as much information as you can with your sketch.  Help me to "see" what you "see" the finished design looking like.  See below for where and how to send your submission idea.

That’s it!  If your design is accepted, I would then ask for:

• Your notes on how you made it – as long as they are legible they can even be hand written.  You will not need to write the pattern!  I will ask you to send me a completed square along with your final notes and I will turn them into a pattern.  I will take care of all writing and formatting of the pattern, tech editing, getting final samples made and the photography – all you have to do is come up with the idea and make the prototype.

Here’s what you get:

• The design is yours; however since I will be writing the actual pattern, the copyright for that pattern remains with me.  Your name will be on the pattern page as the creator of the design.
  • You will receive a free copy of the complete ebook.  I’m also considering offering a printed version of the book via CreateSpace or another print-on-demand service.  If I’m able to make that happen, contributors would be able to purchase a copy at cost. 
  • Bragging rights!  There is nothing like seeing a design you’ve thought up in a book with your name attached.  The ebook will be available on Amazon (as well as other venues) and will be publicized everywhere possible. 

Obviously it would be fantastic if I could also offer monetary compensation, but I cannot.  That’s why this project is probably best suited to those who are not established designers, but those who want the fun of having an idea of theirs turned into a pattern and published. (But without having to actually write a pattern!)

Requirements for the squares:

• Must be made with worsted weight yarn – acrylic, wool, whatever you have in your stash is fine
  • Completed squares must measure between 5 ½ & 6 ½  inches square (I will likely be adding a border to each square when finishing them, so your design can reach from edge to edge if necessary)
  • I won’t require a specific stitch count since I don’t want to limit you on the types of stitches you use; but it should be somewhere around 25 – 30 stitches wide; give or take 5 stitches.

Questions:

• Will you provide the yarn to make our square?  Since you will be sending me a prototype of your design idea and I will be crocheting the squares again once the pattern is written, there is no yarn support for this project. Feel free to use whatever you have in your stash for the prototype, as long as it’s worsted weight.

• What happens to the square we send you?  If you would like the square sent back when the project is complete, I can do that.  Please send a self-addressed, stamped envelope with your submission if you would like your square sent back.

• Can we submit more than one square idea?  Absolutely!  Please send a separate email for each submission idea though. 

• Will you accept knitting designs too?  No; sorry.  This is a crochet-only project. 

Send your submission idea to:

playingwithfiber@gmail.com

Please put:  50 State Squares Submission: <add state name here> in the subject line.  Make sure to include your full name and contact info (a phone number would be appreciated in addition to your email address; but that's not mandatory) in the body of the email.  Tell me about your idea - either in the body of the email or you can attach a separate document.  Attach the sketch or photo and you’re done! 

Deadline for submission ideas:  March 31, 2014

You will hear back from me by April 15 as to whether your idea has been accepted for the book.  Once notified of acceptance, you will have 30 days to complete the prototype & pattern notes and ship them to me.

Other questions?  Ask them here or you can email me at the address above. 

Thanks!

Archived