Need help with dec 1 dc 7 times (toe)

Jansplace1

Question

3 answers to this question

I am reading the instructions as:

dec 1 dc twice = make 2 dc into 1, repeat once more

dec 2 dc once = make 3 dc into 1

So, the 'math sounds the same', but they don't mean the same thing!

edit, I just realized there was another question in the title - dec 1 dc 7 times=make 2 dc into 1, repeat 6 times more

More info on how to do a double crochet decrease.  In summary, you make 2 incomplete DCs, then join them at the top in the end.  The 2 stitches together look sort of like this ^.  Notice you are working 2 DCs to decrease 1 - they start out as 2 on the bottom, but joined into 1 a the top.

To decrease 2 dc at once, it's the same idea except you make 3 incomplete DCs, then join them at the top in the end.  So 3 DCs at the bottom, only 1 at the top, so a decrease of 2 stitches.

Here is a tutorial page that shows how to do decreases with SC and DC.  The video shows DC 2 tog at the beginning.  The DC 3 tog is the same, except after making the second 'partial DC', you make another partial DC, then join them all together.  Note, each partial DC will add another loop onto your hook, before the last step when you pull thru all the loops.  For DC2tog there will be 3 loops, for DC3tog there will be 4 loops at the end.

http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/decreasebasics.html

If you are a new crocheter, this site is a gold mine of information--check out the tutorial link on the left side of the page.

Archived