Row Displacement?

TinaKB

Question

I'd like to do a pattern I've bought for a teddy bear, but I really don't understand a certain part.

It says - '20 sc, sc for row displacement. (20)

Now I understand that I have to do twenty single crochet, BUT, if I then do another single crochet, won't that make 21, not 20?

This pops up at various points in the pattern and I'm confused. I've never come across it before!

I just don't understand how doing an extra stitch won't add to the number already in the row - am I missing something?

18 answers to this question

I have never heard that term used either. Give the designer some time to reply - often the folks who sell on etsy are people who have other full-time jobs and families to take care of etc. so it might take a while for them to reply but (in my experiences) they usually do get back to you in a timely manner when you need their help with something.  

OMGosh, I am so glad I found this while googling about "row displacement"!  I came across it while trying to figure out what row displacement meant in a pattern I recently purchased and to my amazement...it's the same pattern!

Mystery solved and now I can continue making my bear.

:manyheart

She said it didn't matter because the number if stitches don't change anyway unless you increase or decrease.

I've finished the project - I'll post a photo :)

Yay, I got a reply and now know what she means by 'row displacement.'

Because it's worked in continuos spirals and not joining rounds, doing the extra stitch now and then keeps the rows looking neat. You just do the extra one, place your stitch marker in and do the next rows as per the instructions.

Not as difficult as I was thinking!

I know that you don't join, but I wonder is she is trying to keep the beginning of the row in the same place. Is there anything in the pattern which necessitates this?

But then again, you would think that that would mean you skip one at the end of the round.

European patterns are written differently. Some of the Drops patterns, I have trouble working out for a while.

Hello, yes I've read it thoroughly and there are diagrams, but they don't explain or show what this row displacement thing is.

I'll just have to wait for her to reply I guess.

here it is on ravelry http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/pdf-amigurumi-crochet-pattern---cute-teddy-bear

the seller is actually in Moldova according to her profile there.  looks like one person has successfully made the bear.  

the etsy listing indicates the pattern has all kinds of photos and diagrams, so do be sure you have read all that info....I know sometimes I skip over things or just don't see things that are not quite where i expect them to be.  

Hello, it's a pattern for a teddy bear, I bought it on Etsy. I have asked the pattern maker to explain, but she's not replying to me :(

The pattern is worked in continuous rounds, so no joining, and this instruction is only on occasional rows.

Thanks for trying to help. I need to work it out before I can make it.

What pattern is it? If it is free online, link to it. Or if it is purchased or in a book/magazine, tell us the title and source.

I have never seen a pattern that used the term row displacement, so at the moment i have no idea what it could mean

Archived