My hats are flat...

Frogger

Question

It seems like all the hats I make are rather flat across the top, and I don't know why. Right now, I'm pretty much doing it w/o a pattern, but following the standard increasing-

Rnd 1- X sts in ring

Rnd 2- 2 sts in ea. st around

Rnd 3- (1 st in next st, 2 sts in next) around

Rnd 4- (1 st in next 2 sts, 2 sts in next) around

Rnd 5- (1 st in next 3 sts, 2 sts in next) around

Yadda yadda yadda

Even when I follow a pattern, I seem to get this- any suggestions?

2 answers to this question

:hook Depends on the weight of your yarn as to how many rows of increasing you do.

:think Maybe you are starting with too many stitches to start with.

The stitch you use will make a difference too. ie: SCs compared to DCs.

:clap To make a Beanie, you usually only need about 12 sts into the loop at the beginning, then increase until it looks wide enough then work straight to the length you want. (Usually takes a couple of rows before it starts to turn into a Beanie shape and not a Beret shape.

:think Remember one stitch extra on the first round will equate to a lot of extra stitches after 4 or 5 rows.

:cheer Try it and see for yourself, it is amazing. A bit of un-ravelling never hurt anyone and at least you learn how to roll a nice ball of yarn.

:hook If you want more of a bowl shape, start with less stitches and if you want a plate shape, start with a few more.

:yay Get a note book and when you have the stitches right for the yarn and the size you want the Beanie, write it down for the future then you wont have to go through it all again.

Have fun.

Colleen.

Archived