Pattern translation

Stacey Ditchburn

Question

Hi I'm trying to teach myself to crochet and read patterns but I can't seem to find anything that will help me with my pattern. I'm wondering if someone would help with putting this in English so I can get a better understanding of what they are asking me to do. TIA

1st row: (RS). With A, 1 sc in 2nd ch from hook. (Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in next ch) 8 times, joining B in last sc. *With B, 1 sc in next ch. (Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in next ch) 8 times, joining A in last sc. With A, 1 sc in next ch. (Ch 1. Miss next ch. 1 sc in next ch) 8 times, joining B in last sc. Rep from * twice more. Do not join B at end of row. 119 sts. Turn.

I'm getting confused with the miss next ch1 part as the picture of the blanket doesn't look like it has any spaces. (It's the Vicki Howell patchwork blanket if anyone is familiar with it) thanks

5 answers to this question

After the first row you are making your stitch into the chain of the previous row - it's like a staggered single crochet blanket.  The single crochets are using the chains so there won't be any spaces.

......If you read ahead to row 2, you'll see where you're going to use those chain spaces that you're leaving in row 1

Oh ok, so I'm just doing single crochet but leaving one space? Do I chain one after each single crochet? Thanks

Yes, you just keep repeating that pattern throughout.  The chain spaces are where you put your sc of the next row.

Archived