So confused on this pattern!

howieann

Question

Help! One of my work friends and I were looking through the Donna Kooler's Encyclopedia of Crochet and came across the "Purple Texture" cocoon. We decided that it would be adorable for the little nephew she's expecting, so I decided to tackle it. Here's a link to the beginning of the pattern on Google Books:

Purple Texture

Here's the trouble: Round 1: I watched a couple of tutorials and got the foundation single crochet down... not sure I like it, but it wasn't too hard. But I don't know where to go from there. I don't understand how it can be a Round and yet specifically say not to join. But it also doesn't say to turn. Any thoughts on how this should be working?

A part of me wants to say forget it do something else, but I know that she's fallen in love with this one. And I don't want to be beaten by it. We figured out the color scheme to make it look like Nemo, so I hate to start over...

7 answers to this question

I guess you would hold the two ends together and start round two. They want it to be done in a spiral instead of in rounds. I would join that first round if it were easier to manage. Ya know, a pattern is just a suggestion if you see a better way to get the result you want lol

I am really tired at the moment so I will take another look in the morning, but I think maybe it is worked in a spiral rather than rounds joined with slip stitches. So just start round 2 as indicated, and you will technically be joining (via the single crochet) just not with a slip stitch. If that makes sense. Sorry, again really tired right now so not sure the putting words into sentences thing is working well right now. lol

I type way too slow when I am tired. You beat me to it, magiccrochetfan. :P

As the others have said just hold the ends together and do what it says in the first sc of the 32 sc foundation chain. Put a marker in that stitch and each time you come around just start what it says in that stitch moving the marker up.

Archived