Crooked Granny Square Blanket ... Help!

Donna Stieglitz

Question

My daughter is crocheting a granny square blanket and it is turning out crooked in sort of a pinwheel shape.  What is she doing wrong?  I can't for the life of me figure it out.  I have been crocheting for 30 years and have never had my granny squares do that.  I can send a picture, as that is all I have to work with.  She is 4 hours away.  Thanks for any help you can give.  Donna

post-4296-0-82929100-1390187301_thumb.jpg

8 answers to this question

That won't fix what you already have. 

What you can do and since it's variegated it should work would be to turn it once and do 5-10 rounds in the opposite direction to straighten out the tilt and then once it's sitting straight start turning each round.

I find it easier to start the next round when I turn.  I'll [slst to join, ch1, turn, (sc, ch1 {for the first dc} and then the next 2 dcs to complete that cluster for the granny.  It makes a beautiful and practically invisible turn. 

Oh good.  I'm glad to hear it. 

How do you like the way I start the rounds?

One of the wonderful things about crochet is that once you get the basics down you can personalize your own style of working with it.  The way I start each granny square round is very different from what most people do BUT it works for me and I like the way it looks. 

I like how it looks, but I definitely will need to practice it more. I have not crocheted in quite a while so I am a little rusty. It was getting kind of confusing so for now I am just doing the turning. My mom is going to help me get better with your method when she comes to visit :) Thanks again for your help!!

Archived