Help getting a pattern started

Shannon Brooks

Question

I am working on what seems to be a very simple pattern for a gnome hat for a newborn. I'm just having trouble getting it started. The first directions are as follows:

Ch 2.
Round 1: 2dc in 2nd chain from hook. Join. (2 sts)

Everything makes sense until I try to join. I've never made something that started with just a chain of 2 and I think the smallness of it has me messing myself up. Since I'm assuming I'm only working with the 2 stitches made from the 2 dc I'm just not sure which way to turn to join and where on the stitch (front or back) I should be going through. I feel like it's very simple but I've got myself flustered and am not seeing it how I should. I'd love a picture to be with the pattern so I can SEE what I'm doing wrong but no luck :/ If someone could help I would greatly appreciate it!

6 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

that sounds hard to do to me too.  What is the next round? I would be tempted to eliminate that first 2-stitch round and just start with a round of 4 or 6 or whatever the next round is.  

where can we see the pattern?

I paid for the pattern so I don't know what the rules are on sharing it :/ BUT here are the first few lines:

Hat

Newborn to 3 Months

Ch 2.
Round 1: 2dc in 2nd chain from hook. Join. (2 sts)
Round 2: Ch 2. 2dc in same st, 2dc in next st. Join. (4 sts)
Round 3: Ch 2. 2dc in same st, *2dc in next st; repeat from * around. Join. (8 sts)

I understand the need for few stitches at the beginning to get that point up top, which is what the person I am making it for wanted, but I am just having a hard time. The pattern was said to be very simple by the seller. Other than getting it going everything else seems like it will fly by.

https://www.etsy.com/transaction/176879997?ref=fb2_tnx_title

This is what it should look like, better?

Ok, so you're making a point.  If you're  having a hard time placing the hook through the 2nd chain - chances are your chain stitch is too tight.  It should fit comfotably around the shaft of the hook.  If you tighten the loop along the throat where it narrows to the head of the hook it'll be too small.

Since it's a paid pattern you could ask the seller for some advice on getting it started, maybe she has a photo of it in-progress or something.  

I would try starting it with 4 dc into the 2nd chain, i think that will be easier.  I think it will still be very pointed.  with 2 dc you don't even have much to hold onto!    

It's OK to post a bit of a pattern for help, as you have done.  We really aren't supposed to post other people's photos.  to find the Guidelines , click on the Forums tab at the top of the page, under Town Hall are the Community Policies.  edited to add----to show us the photo you could link to the seller's site, if they have one; I'm assuming you bought it online :-)  

The pattern says uses bulky weight yarn and a k hook, are you using that ?

Does it say where to join as you will have the ch 2 and 2 dc but it says 2 stitches?

Maybe you join in the first dc each time skipping the ch.

Archived