need a help to read a pattern

swan_crochet

Question

Hello everyone,

I am new to crochet patterns and I need some helps with my first project.

It says 2 dc in 2-ch sp, * dc in tr, 5 dc in 5-ch, dc in tr, (3 dc, 5 ch, 3 dc) in corner 5-ch.

2 dc in 2-ch sp: what I understand that I'll do 2 double crochet in the second stitch. sp does it mean that I'll leave the next stitch?

dc in tr: does it mean a double treble crochet stitch? where I should do it?

5 dc in 5-ch, dc in tr: this means I should make dc in the fifth stitch from the begining then in the same stitch I do dc in tr?

(3 dc, 5 ch, 3 dc) in corner 5-ch: I don't understand this.

I appreciate your help and I am sorry if these questions look naive to you

6 answers to this question

Hello everyone,

I am new to crochet patterns and I need some helps with my first project.

It says 2 dc in 2-ch sp, * dc in tr, 5 dc in 5-ch, dc in tr, (3 dc, 5 ch, 3 dc) in corner 5-ch.

2 dc in 2-ch sp: what I understand that I'll do 2 double crochet in the second stitch. sp does it mean that I'll leave the next stitch?

What this is saying is that you will do 2 dc in the space where on the previous row you did a chain 2.

dc in tr: does it mean a double treble crochet stitch? where I should do it?

Here you will be making a dc in the next stitch that is a tr.

5 dc in 5-ch, dc in tr: this means I should make dc in the fifth stitch from the begining then in the same stitch I do dc in tr?

In the previous row you did a chain 5, this is where you will do 5 dc and then 1 dc in the next stitch that is a tr.

(3 dc, 5 ch, 3 dc) in corner 5-ch: I don't understand this.

I gather this is a square of some kind you are making?  on each corder you should have a space where on the previous row you made a chain 5.  This is where you will do 3dc, chain 5, 3 dc.

I appreciate your help and I am sorry if these questions look naive to you

I do hope I was able to help you, if not, I am sure there is someone who will come along and maybe explain it better. 

May I ask wht pattern you are making?

Welcome to the 'ville!

To add to what Tampa Doll said:  to make a stitch or stitches into a chain SPACE, you don't actually make stitches into a chain stitch itself.  (This is a common newbie question) Think of the chain space as a bridge between stitches, you insert the hook under the bridge, these new stiches will be made around the chain. 

The way this pattern is phrased, I suspect this pattern may be using UK terminology (US patterns tend to say chain x, UK patterns tend to say x chain).  I just want to make you aware that US patterns and UK patterns use different terms for the stitches.  Here's a comparison:  http://www.yarnfwd.com/main/crochet.html

Here is a site that explains the algebra-looking symbols in crochet patterns, like the one in your corner instructions (note, this site uses US terms:  http://www.craftyarncouncil.com/tip_crochet.html  also, check the crochet abbreviations in the menu on the left side of the page.

Tampa Doll, you are awesome. Your explanations are great. The pattern now turns to be somthing sensible. I just want to check few things.

In the first row, it says

CH6, sl st in 1st st. CH11, tr in ring, (CH5, tr in ring) 6 times, CH2, dc in 6th st of 1st 11-ch

ROW 2- CH3, turn, 2 dc in 2-ch sp, * dc in tr, 5 dc in 5-ch, dc in tr, (3 dc, 5 ch, 3 dc) in corner 5-ch

So what I am gonna do is 2 dc in the space of 2 chains, dc in the 3rd st, 5 dc in the 5 chain ring, (3dc, 5ch, 3dc) in the next 5 ch ring.

Have I got it right?

another question when it says "ch 6, sc in next 6th dc" does it mean that I do 6 sc in the next 6 stitches or 1 sc in the 6th stitch?

Thank you again

CH6, sl st in 1st st. This means you will be making a circle.  You are going to be working in the round.

CH11, tr in ring, This is going to make a big loop, sort of like a petal coming off the ring.  'In ring' is sort of the same as a chain space, you will stick your hook in the middle of the ring and make the stitches around the chains of the ring

(CH5, tr in ring) 6 times, This is going to make 6 more petals, that are smaller than the first

CH2, dc in 6th st of 1st 11-ch  This is going to make another petal, and close the ring at the same time in a different sort of way.  You will end up at the top of the last petal made.  The last petal is a combination of the chain 2, 5 chains from the first 11 chains, and the DC.  Doilies and other lace pieces do this sort of thing quite a bit to reposition the hook in a different spot for the next round which can be confusing to a newbie I'm afraid.  when it says "ch 6, sc in next 6th dc" does it mean that I do 6 sc in the next 6 stitches or 1 sc in the 6th stitch?  Patterns don't often use the number 1.  If it just says a stitch without a number, it means 1, as in this case.  It is saying 'make 6 chains, then make 1 sc in the chain that is 6 chains away from the stitch you are in right now"

ROW 2- CH3, turn, 2 dc in 2-ch sp, * dc in tr, 5 dc in 5-ch, dc in tr, (3 dc, 5 ch, 3 dc) in corner 5-ch  OK, now we are back to what Tampa Doll explained earlier,. 

You have picked an intermediate level pattern, at least.  I personally started the same way, somehow I ended up with a bunch of vintage-ish doily pattern books when I first learned to crochet, and it's like solving puzzles.  Older patterns aren't as clear as most newer patterns, they don't spell everything out--they expect you to 'know' basic things.  But, as you said they do teach you a lot as you figure them out, too.

Archived