Help understanding edging instructions

Col2steps

Question

Hello!

I'm a crochet novice when it comes to patterns. I've recently completed a pattern for a Christmas tree skirt, and it's lovely. But I've had to stop short at the instructions for the edging. I'm not sure I'm understanding them. There's 3 rounds, but the first round looks like it could go on for 3 rounds itself! The skirt pattern itself was a pretty easy shell stitch (2 dc,ch-1, 2 dc).

Here are the instructions:

Rnd 1: with right side facing and working in free loops of beginning ch, join CC with slip st in first ch; ch 1, sc in same st and in each ch across to last ch, 2 sc in last ch, place marker around last sc worked, sc in same st; work 89 sc evenly spaced across end of rows; working across sts on last row, 2 sc in first dc, place marker around last sc worked, sc in the same st, sc I each dc and I each ch-1 sp across to last doc, 2 sc in last dc, place marker around last sc worked, sc in same st, work 89 sc evenly spaced across end of rows, 2 sc in same st as first sc, place marker around last sc worked; join with slip st to first dc: 848 sc.

I would greatly appreciate any help! My grandmother taught me how to crochet, but she has since passed and I'd like to learn more.

Thank you!

-Colleen

3 answers to this question

It sounds like the skirt was started at the outside edge, and worked toward the center.  I'm assuming the shape is a slit circle with a hole in the center.

When you work into a chain, you leave 1 or 2 loops unused (there are several ways to work into a chain).  These are the 'free loops'.  So, if the skirt started with the chain and worked north, the edging starts with what's left of the chain, and works south.

I'm pasting your directions with my remarks added in red

Rnd 1: with right side facing and working in free loops of beginning ch, join CC with slip st in first ch; ch 1, sc in same st and in each ch across to last ch, 2 sc in last ch, place marker around last sc worked, sc in same st;

I'm reading the above as you are working across the circumference of the outside circle so far.

For the following step, you will start to work along the first of the slit edges, so you will be working into the side edges of the piece

work 89 sc evenly spaced across end of rows;

The last row mentioned below I'm assuming is the center hole, so that's what you are now working around below,  I assume doc should be dc

working across sts on last row, 2 sc in first dc, place marker around last sc worked, sc in the same st, sc I each dc and I each ch-1 sp across to last doc, 2 sc in last dc, place marker around last sc worked,

You are going down the other slit now,

sc in same st, work 89 sc evenly spaced across end of rows, 2 sc in same st as first sc, place marker around last sc worked; join with slip st to first dc: 848 sc.

Thank you so much! It never occurred to me to think if the edging going around the ENTIRE edge of the skirt. I just thought I was edging the outer circle. And the picture on the pattern doesn't show the inner circle under the tree.

Thanks again!

Archived