Matching up panels for blanket

acanady

Question

I am making a blanket that has two panels with stiching going different directions (left to right, vs up and down) and as I am adding in additional colors to make the design, the inital length I made with my chain is shrinking and it is now no longer the same length as the side panel it needs to line up with. It still contains the 84 stitches I initially put in it but its just 2 inches shorter now. What should I do?? Do I make the inital chain 2 inches longer assuming it will shrink or will that not make it sit flat as a blanket should? Or do I make my stitches looser as I add other colors of yarn in it? Thanks!

2 answers to this question

Everyone's tension is different widthwise and heightwise.  And as you have found out, the length of a chain does not = the length of the end thing.  Each chain will get drawn in a tiny bit when you put a stitch into it.

No stitches are exactly square. Gauge measurements are never the same for the # of stitches across as for the rows to make a square. If you made your second chain the same length as the first, it will not match the side measurement of the first piece.

Measure your first piece across (including fractional inches). Divide the # of stitches by the inches, this will give you the # of stitches per inch.

Measure the length of the side you need to match your chain to (including fractional inches).  Multiply that my the # of stitches per inch you calculated.  Add 1 if you are doing sc, add 2 if you are doing dc (US terms).  That's the length of the chain you need to match the measurement of the side of the first piece.

Archived