Yarn Over Hook

Elizabeth Lode

Question

I am just beginning to learn how to crochet. The book I bought has an instructional DVD, and it states that I must always wrap the yarn from around the backiside of the hook.

Is this true? If the answer is complicated (yes for certain stitches and no for others) - just tell me that, yes, when pulling your your over your hook, it must always be pulled from the back of the hook.

Thank you so much,

Elizabeth Lode

5 answers to this question

Yes it is true that the yarn always comes over the back of the hook. Is there a particular reason you thought it might not be true?

If you pull the yarn the other way, you are creating a slghtly different stitch and it looks different. Somebody did a blog entry illustrating this, i will link if i can find it.

You can see the direction clearly in the Nexstitch videos http://www.nexstitch.com/v_single_crochet.html

That is a good online reference for how to make specific stitches.

Welcome to the ville :hook

If you are right handed, yes, or at least typically yes.  (It may be true for lefties, but I'm right-handed so not sure).

Again, typically, the yarn coming from the ball is held in the left hand, hook in the right, and the path of the yarn is : pull skyward from the back side, over the top  toward you,  earthward over the front of the hook.  Actually for me, the yarn stays pretty still and my right hand with the hook makes the motions to put the yarn around the hook that way.

The hook is typically inserted from the front to the back of the stitch .

There is such a thing as a crochet purl stitch where the yarn is fed from the front, and the hook is inserted into the stitch from back to front.  This is not very common.

I'm saying 'typically' a lot because there exceptions, but they are special stitches and will usually be defined in the pattern.

If you make stitches the opposite way, you will still get a fabric but it won't look the same.

edit, aw come on, I am not stalking you Kathy, really !  Typing slow again. :hi

Archived