making a pattern from an image

DesertCat

Question

So hi all, I'm new on here but not to crochet- and I am well and thoroughly stuck. I found an image of a decorative table cover that I wish to try and make, but can't find any similar patterns. I have never tried to make a pattern from scratch before, an my usual go-to for help (my grandma) never did either. The only things I've been able able to find online are turning actual *photos* into crochet patterns with a graph, but this has a doily/web type pattern with spirals between the arms of the "web" so a lot of empty space and I dont think that method would work...if anyone can advise that would be great!

2 answers to this question

welcome to the ville!  :hook

it sounds like the image you have is of a lace piece, and you are right it won't work to use a photo program to turn that into a graph.

Can you tell us more about the image, or link to it?  Maybe someone will know of a similar pattern.  If you have a clear enough photo you may be able to count stitches and recreate it fairly well....that does require a foundation of understanding the basic structures used in the original piece.  

Archived