Please help with baby afghan instructions

pao

Question

I am a beginner crocheter who inadvertently picked up a pattern for a baby afghan that is rated intermediate.  I would like to try it because I like the blanket, but I am stuck on the instructions.

Afghan body;

with white ch 127, I get this

Row 1 (right side):Working over Blue, sc in second ch from hook and in each ch across: 126 sc.

My question is what is working over Blue?  Where did the blue come from, am I using 2 yarns? Or is Row 1 using blue color instead of white? 

Please help!

Thanks 

6 answers to this question

Don't panic. Does the pattern have a picture with it?

There's probably a video on here that shows ways of working with two colors. The way your pattern calls for makes the blanket reversible, because the color you're not using is wrapped in the other. There won't be any floats, or loose threads, but the second color will show through faintly, and a lot of designs use that as a feature. If you worked your first row with only white yarn, that row would look different from later rows where you're hiding blue behind white.

Go back and read the notes before the pattern starts. They'll tell you how many colors you'll be working with. If there's a chart attached, look at that too.

Does the pattern tell you when to switch colors?

it reads as if you're to do the foundation chain in blue and then use a different color to do the first row.  Personally - i would just use the same color for the chain and the first row.

If you could link to the pattern - you'd be able to get much more tailored advice.

It's in the Big book of Baby Afghans by LA> In the other rows you work over the unused color across so to me it could mean to hold the blue in your hand and work over it across for the row so it will be there to continue with the rest of the afghan..

It's in the Big book of Baby Afghans by LA> In the other rows you work over the unused color across so to me it could mean to hold the blue in your hand and work over it across for the row so it will be there to continue with the rest of the afghan..

Yes, this pattern is from the Big book of Baby Afghans-sonny boy

I have never crocheted with two yarns, so hopefully it won't be too difficult for me.  I am having a hard time understanding how to introduce the blue color.  I know I chain with white, but how do I bring the blue in?  I think I understand how to work over the blue, but when and how is it attached?

Sorry for my ignorance, and I really appreciate the replies.  I'm having a grandson coming in March and  if this isn't too difficult, I would like to try it.

just lay the blue along your chain and form your sttiches over it.  In the next row you start changing colors every few stitches.  to change colors, here is a tutorial from C Ventura's tapestry crochet site http://iweb.tntech.edu/cventura/rightstitches.html

you may want to look around on that site for other info.  

and more info on crocheting flat with multiple colors. http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/technique_chartcolors.html

Archived