Beanie pattern help

tekmaster5000

Question

Here is the link to the pattern I am using: http://happyinred.blogspot.nl/2011/12/beanie-pattern-for-your-man.html (you have to scroll down for the English version)

I am very new at patterns and I wanted to try my hand at a beanie or my boyfriend after making one for my friend's baby. I don't think I am doing this right. The shape it has taken on seems quite off to me? Is it off or is it just me? I wanna know if I should just scrap it before I go on any further.

I just completed row 10, btw

Thanks for the help

post-68992-0-46867600-1384376741_thumb.jpg

post-68992-0-13304300-1384376750_thumb.jpg

5 answers to this question

well, you only have a few rows left, so it won't take long to finish it if you want to see how it turns out.  

to me it looks like there are too many increases and that is why it looks more like a plate than a hat.  i too think it should look more like a bowl.  but if you are using very soft slinky yarn that could be part of why it looks flat.  

this pattern, like many found on blogs, seems to be missing some vital info.   A good, helpful, pattern should tell you the measurements of the finished item, the number of stitches and rows in a 4" section, and ideally give a stitch count at the end of rows/rounds.    Also specific info about the yarn used in the original and the hook size, as a atarting point to get gauge.  

here is a good tutorial on crocheting hats http://www.crochetcabana.com/html/round_hat.html

the info on diameter and circumference is particularly helpful in getting the right size to fit a specific person.  

It looks like it will be way too big.  The shape seems more or less OK, row 10 is the third round working without increasing and it's just starting to cup, which looks right.

There's an easy formula to make sure this sort of hat fits properly.  Measure your guy's head where the brim would go.  Now, divide that number by pi (3.14).  This is the diameter of the circle that you need for the increases, you need to stop increasing at this point.  If it's a little smaller than this, but the next row will make it bigger, stop at the smaller measurement (the hat will stretch).  Some advise to make that circle 1" smaller than the pi measurement to make it really snug; if he has really short hair this might work, I personally don't like them that tight.

Your tension may be different than the designers, or your yarn may be a little different.  At least with hats, it's an easy fix (any you may only have to rip a few rounds).  Or...it looks a little loose, maybe start over with a smaller hook.

It is hard to tell based on pictures alone but it looks like your yarn may be thinner than that was used for that pattern as well. The yarn used is a bulky/aran weight yarn and I'm guessing by the picture you are using a lighter worsted weight yarn. I might be wrong of course but if so, that will play a role in the finished size of the hat as well. I think it looks like the general shaping is ok, but it just looks like your gauge is a lot looser than the designers. I'd try using a smaller hook and see if that helps. 

Archived