Help with a crochet pattern

edbusch3

Question

I am currently working on a pair of mittens that I am crocheting. I am at the end of the mitten and it is telling me to decrease and I not sure exactly what they are saying. The pattern reads as follows:

"decrease over the next 4 sts by crocheting 2 sc tog twice"

Am I supposed to crochet 2sc in each of next 4 stitches or what? Maybe my brain is just over tired, but I am not getting exactly what I am supposed to do. Can someone please explain this to me so I can have an AH HA moment.

Thank you in advance.

3 answers to this question

The 4 stitches will become 2 when you are done.  This is a decrease--I think your tired eyes missed the "tog" part--2 sc tog means to bring 2 stitches together into 1.  So you'd sc together stitches 1&2, then sc together stitches 3&4.

If you were to crochet 2sc in each of next 4 stitches, you'd end up with 8 stitches - a doubling not a halving of the 4 stitches.

edit - tutorial http://www.stitchdiva.com/tutorials/crochet/working-stitches-together

Just for other's reference, here are 3 decreasing stitches (SC, HDC and DC).

sc2tog:  Insert hook into next stitch, YO and pull through (there are now 2 loops on hook).  Insert hook into NEXT stitch, YO and pull through (now there are 3 loops on hook).  YO and pull through all 3 loops. 

hdc2tog:  YO and insert hook into next stitch, YO and pull through (there are now 3 loops on hook).  YO and insert hook into NEXT stitch, YO and pull through (5 loops on hook).  YO and pull through all 5 loops.

dc2tog.  YO and insert hook into next stitch,  YO and pull through (there are now 3 loops on hook), YO and pull through 2 loops (2 loops left on hook).  YO and insert hook into NEXT stitch, YO and pull through (4 loops on hook), YO and pull through 2 loops.  YO and pull through remaining 3 loops.

Archived