Pattern Confusion

keecrochet

Question

Hello! I hope I'm doing this correctly, but I've been trying to wrap my head around this pattern for two weeks now and I never seem to be able to get it right.

I know how to do crocheting in a circle, and double crochet and things like that, but this pattern is just way too hard for me.

I was hoping maybe someone could help me break it down step by step? I can crochet in a certain space okay, but I don't know where to go after that's done. It doesn't say to fasten off after you finish in the -3 ch so I don't know where to go with the yarn at all and I'm just so fed up and confused and I already made 60 of the damn squares so I don't wanna just throw it all out.

I've italicized the part that I'm having trouble with, with the initial part being there for helpful context.

"

Ch 4, join with slip st to form ring. 

Rnd1 Ch3, 4 dc in ring, (ch3 ,5dc in ring)3 times, ch 3, join with slip st to top of beg ch-3. 

Rnd 2 Ch 2, (yo, insert hook in next dc, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops) 4 times, yo and pull through all 5 loops on hook (dec made), ch 4, slip st in next ch-3 space, ch 4, *(yo, insert hook in next dc, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops) 5 times, yo and pull through all 6 loops on hook (dec made), ch 4, slip st in next ch3-space, ch 4. Repeat from * twice more; join with slip st to top of first decrease. Fasten off. 

Rnd 3 Working over slip st of Rnd 2, join next color yarn with slip st in any ch-3 space of Rnd 1. Ch 3, (2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in same space, slip st in top of next dc dec, *working over slip st of Rnd 2, work (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space of Rnd 1, slip st in top of next dc dec. Repeat from * twice more; join with slip st to top of beg ch-3. Fasten off. 
"

Another thing about this is that this is the messiest most complicated pattern writing I've ever seen. It hurts my head.

If I need to word this better or you need clarification please ask, I'm just really kind of fed up with the whole thing right now and wanted to reach out to folks who know what they're doing.

Sorry..

I always rewrite patterns like this before I start. Like this:

Ch 4, join with slip st to form ring. 

Rnd1 

Ch3,

4 dc in ring,

(ch3 ,5dc in ring) 3 times, This I sometimes write out three times instead: ch3 ,5dc in ring, ch3 ,5dc in ring, ch3 ,5dc in ring

ch 3,

join with slip st to top of beg ch-3. 

Rnd 2 Ch 2,

(yo, insert hook in next dc, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops) 4 times,

yo and pull through all 5 loops on hook (dec made)

this is a decrease. 4 stitches together and it seems to be 4 dc together as far as I can see. Just follow through and you'll get it right)
, ch 4,

slip st in next ch-3 space, ch 4,

*(yo, insert hook in next dc, yo and pull up a loop, yo and pull through 2 loops) 5 times, yo and pull through all 6 loops on hook (dec made), This is 5 dc together

ch 4,

slip st in next ch3-space Which I always rename as chainloop,

ch 4.

Repeat from * twice more; You can recolour the * to * part, or rewrite it to make sure you repeat the exact right stitches

join with slip st to top of first decrease Or as I call it "dc's together"

Fasten off. 

Rnd 3 

Working over slip st of Rnd 2,

join next color yarn with slip st in any ch-3 space of Rnd 1

. Ch 3,

(2 dc, ch 1, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in same space,

slip st in top of next dc dec or together,

*working over slip st of Rnd 2,

work (3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc, ch 1, 3 dc) in next ch-3 space  or chain loop of Rnd 1

, slip st in top of next dc dec.

Repeat from * twice more; '

join with slip st to top of beg ch-3. Fasten off. 
"

Did that make it any easier or did I confuse you even more ?

welcome to the ville :hook

is this the pattern? http://www.lionbrand.com/patterns/40218AD.html

if not , what pattern is it?

if that is the pattern, it does sound complicated.  I wish there was a better picture of the squares.  

on round 3, i don't think it needs to say "working over the slip sttich" at the beginning of the round.  later on in the round that phrase makes more sense.

What specifically on round 3 are you confused about?  

if you can post a clear closeup photo of one of your squares so far that will help us explain it for you.  

Archived