Varigated threads and doilies

minster

Question

I love to crochet pineapple doilies. I am wanting to learn something new with them. I would like to make my doily starting with 1 color and then when it comes to the pineapple portion make just that portion in a different color so that it would stand out in the finished project. I am not quite sure of how I can make this happen as far as the color changes. If anyone has done this before and can provide me with some good tips/tricks I would appreciate it. If there are any websites that cover this topic that would be great also. I have tried You Tube but have not found much.

Thank you for the help!!

Mindy

2 answers to this question

I think you would have to finish off the first color, then join the second color when you begin the pineapple portion.  You will have a lot of threads to weave in, but I can't see a better solution.

I haven't tried this, but "in my head" I think it might work if you turned the doily each round; you'd need to work with multiple bobbins.

I think I've seen a vintage pineapple doily pattern that did just that, the pineapples were a different color - I'll see if I can find it.

Edit, found one - it was done by making a center circle in color A, then attaching color B and making a whole pineapple, break off, reattach in another spot, make another whole pineapple, etc.   So you'd have 24 ends to weave if you had 12 pineapples.  But, the pattern was written especially to do this - so the next rounds after the pineapple worked around each pineapple -- this wouldn't work for most patterns.

I found another one that has this effect http://www.freepatterns.com/detail.html?code=FC01116&cat_id=312

Archived