Blocking

melia.ann

Question

Hello. I have been crocheting for 13 years and knitting for 5, but I have never thought to have the need to block items.... until this year's Bernat KAL (which is too late for me to block because i almost have it done). I would like to learn how to block items so that they come out even, but I don't know where to start. If  anyone wouldbe kind enough to help it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Melia

4 answers to this question

You block items after they have been completed. It's not hard at all. Acrylics do not take to blocking - I only block things made with natural fibers like wool, mohair etc. Not all items need to be blocked, either. It really depends on the project. Lace items tend to need it most, because it helps to open up the stitch pattern and really make it "pop" for lack of a better word. There's really not much to it. You can invest in some blocking boards and pins but neither is totally necessary. I bought a couple sets of those foam puzzle play mats from Wal Mart (essentially the same thing as the blocking boards) and I just use push pins instead of blocking pins. You just wet your finished item, squeeze out most of the water (I like to roll it up in a towel) then lay it out on the boards and pin the edges every couple inches/as necessary, and as you pin make sure you're using your hands to move/work the piece into shape as desired. Then just leave it to dry. Once it's dry, take the pins out and voila. 

There's also a method called "steam blocking" that I've not bothered with, because it's just easier for me to do it the other way. But for steam blocking you pin the item while it's dry, and then you apply "wet heat", like by hovering over the surface of the item with a steam iron - not touching/ironing but just hovering right above the piece so that it's being hit with the heat and steam, then again you let it dry before removing the pins. 

The only thing I would add is to consider investing in stainless or other "non-rusting" pins. 

Because I am lazy, I do not "formally" block anything except some lace projects. 

However, I do have those net frames that straddle your tub and with a bit of quick tugging into shape and air drying, most projects seem to be "happy" and will hang well on the body.

Archived