N hook with 2 strands A held tog pattern

GMissyZ

Question

I have a pattern that starts with "Beg at bottom, with size N hook and 2 strands A held tog, ch 62, sc in 2nd chain from hook, sc in each remaining sc across turn (61 sc)."

Under Gauge it says, "With N size hook and 2 strands A held tog pattern: (sc, shell, sc) = 3 1/2 inches.

I have no idea how to start. Do i do one (sc, shell, sc) and then chain 62, or what? That just doesn't sound right.

7 answers to this question

welcome to the ville :hook

Gauge is just relling you how big those particular stitches will be.  you can make a "swatch" that is smaller than the whole pattern to check your gauge.  I take it this is an afghan or similar, in which case gauge is not really crucial.  

to start, chain 62, sc in 2nd chain form hook , sc in all the rest of the chains, and at the end of this part you will have 61 sc.  that is your first row completed.  

for more help, you can link ot the pattern if it is free online or tell us what/where it is if it is in a book eetc.  

The gauge swatch is so that you can check your measurements against those of the designers.   Some patterns will give you a pattern to create a gauge swatch.  Other patterns will just measure a section of the work. 

Gauge is much more important for some things than others.  Sweaters and wearables really need the gauge to be spot on.  Afghans - not so much.

The gauge isn't part of the pattern itself.  For this pattern I would just follow the instructions.  Row 1 is telling you to do a row of scs.  I assume that the shells are further into the pattern.

Thanks so much for the help! I understood the part about the gauge and since this is for a sweater, that's important. But I had never seen the phrase "A held tog" before and wasn't sure if it meant I was supposed to do something other than 62 sc to start. Now I'm ready to go!

Thanks so much for the help! I understood the part about the gauge and since this is for a sweater, that's important. But I had never seen the phrase "A held tog" before and wasn't sure if it meant I was supposed to do something other than 62 sc to start. Now I'm ready to go!

This means to hold two strands of the color A yarn together.  Apparently you'll be working with different colors, right?

This means to hold two strands of the color A yarn together.  Apparently you'll be working with different colors, right?

Yes. Now that I know "tog" means together it makes perfect sense: I was wondering why a size N hook with worsted weight yarn! If I am doing 2 strands together that makes sense. There are three colors and 2 strands in each row - sometimes both of the same color, sometimes different colors. I picked the pattern from the picture and bought the yarn without reading the full pattern. Thanks for helping me break the code. "2 strands A held tog" - I even googled "a held tog" - lol.

Archived