Tell me about your hooks

In Denmark I only know of hooks that have a size in milimeters. For instance it's 3.50 mm wide and 14 cms long. But what are the letter codes I often hear mentioned here about? I can't imagine that your hooks are really different from ours. :think

The letter sizes are a wildly un-standardized system used here in the US...they're the most common way to identify sizes here but the actual size can vary between manufacturers. Someone posted this here recently--it's a great reference: http://www.turn-of-the-century.com/knitsize.htm (It shows, for example that a 10mm hook is called size P by one manufacturer and size N by another :lol ) But if you're using patterns that call for letter-sized hooks it's useful for translating...

I've gone by the letters but have been discovering that they are horribly unpredictable, so I'm starting to go by mm (for my own sanity - lol). I wish hook sizes were more standardized in the US!

Whoa, I had no idea it could be made that complicated. :lol

So the letters just refer to the mms, it's not something else entirely. Thanks for the link. :)

Archived