Alternatives to basics

MysterySister

Question

After almost 35 years of crocheting, I recently discovered, via the magic of YouTube tutorials, 2 techniques that have completely revolutionised crochet for me. I now often use chainless foundation rows (single, half-double or double crochet) and I also know how to do no chain turns in double and treble crochet versions.

I'm pretty sure these techniques were around for years before I ever found out about them. Are there any other alternative methods for crochet basics that I've missed out on?

9 answers to this question

Standing dc is a cool way to start a new color http://blog.lionbrand.com/2009/10/01/motif-afghan-crochet-along-crochet-techniques-part-i/

You're right, these things have been around, but I know i haven't really picked up on them til recently.  Standing dc is covered in Crocheting in Plain English by M Righetti, which was first published in the 80s I think.  The chainless foundation was a revelation to me in the last few years, so I was shocked to realize it is in my Readers Digest Guide to Needlework which I've had since about 1979.  They called it double base chain or some such and didn't talk about how it might be used so i glossed over it.  

Continuous motifs is another interesting technique; you make motifs but you use a continuous yarn instead of finishing off and joining.  K Omdahl has a recent book about it http://www.amazon.com/Seamless-Crochet-Techniques-Designs-Join-As-You-Go/dp/1596682973/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1376683533&sr=1-1&keywords=seamless+crochet   I think she was inspired by this Japanese book started the technique, but again there may have been a prior source.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/CONTINUOUS-CROCHET-MOTIF-60-BOOK-Japanese-Craft-Book-/360319194486?pt=US_Crocheting_Knitting_Patterns&hash=item53e4b29576

It is interesting but I gave it a whirl and did not like the way the motifs lay; the path of the yarn seemed to result in some waviness in the final fabric.  Following the convoluted order of crocheting was almost as much trouble as finishing off, joining, and weaving in ends.  

Invisible join (for working in the round) is awesome. I found it (somehow?) maybe two or three years ago on someone's blog and I was just so impressed and disappointed in myself I had never thought of it on my own. There are, of course, plenty of other blog posts and videos about it to be found. This one's a good one though as it's clear, with pictures to show you what to do if you're a visual learner. I do use a tapestry needle when I do it though, but this tutorial demonstrates just using the hook to finish up. This is the only way I finish projects in the round now. I will NEVER go back to the old "join with a slip stitch" method!

http://mrsmicawber.blogspot.com/2012/06/pardon-me-but-your-slip-stitch-is.html

Nice Lionbrand link there! I forget what great tutorials they have on their blog, so thank you.

So chainless foundation has been around as long as I've been doing crochet but it's genius was overlooked! What a terrible shame, I'm so glad it is properly appreciated now. I even found a ripple variation

Thanks for these book links too. Seamless Crochet is available pretty cheaply as a paperback in UK where I am so I'm going to treat myself. I think it's worth a try even if I'm not keen on the results, it's always good to learn new techniques.

It took me quite a few tries to get the hang of the ripple version, but it's been amazingly useful. Do have a look at that user's other uploads, there is a part 2 to that video and also some very nice 'no turning chain' video tutorials.

I just realized a short while ago in an antique pattern discusion that the chainless foundation SC has been around nearly 150 years (or more, probably, that's just the date of a book that describes it).  It's in Isabella Beeton's Book of Needlework from 1870.  She calls it the double foundation chain.  It's ever so slightly different, but functions the same way. 

edit - you can find it here, it's sorted by author, scroll down to "Beeton", the crochet part of the book starts at the beginning of the second PDF.    http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/catalog.htm

Fantastic link Granny Square, thank you very much. There are so many great PDFs there, I think I'm going to be browsing for quite a while....

I found the double foundation chain and you're absolutely right, it's pretty much the same thing. So it looks like it's quite an old technique that just took a rather long time to find it's niche. I think it's still under-appreciated but thanks to the internet, these things can proliferate a lot more quickly than they used to

Archived