Spiral Cap/Hat

Chicki

Question

Hi there....

I have been working on this hat (it seems like forever!) and I just cannot get the brim right!!!

http://members.aol.com/sbaycgoa/patberet.htm

I am not too familiar with decreases....can someone explain to me pleeeeeeeze???

38 stitches, decrease evenly 7 times....31 stitches total. Ok fine. Every 7 stitches? that does not work! I have tried many different ways and still it doesnt come out right!

ahhhhh its driving me crazy!

If anyone can explain to me I will be foreverly (is that a word?) grateful! :manyheart

~Chicki

4 answers to this question

Hi Chicki,

when a pattern says to decreas x number of stitches evenly, in your case 7, it does not mean to decrease every 7th stitch, it means make 7 decreases in that row so you end up with the right amount of stitches at the end. If you start with 38 stitches, divide the number by 7 and round to the whole number (5). So every 5th stitch, decrease and you should end up with 31 stitches at the end of the row. As CrochetJC said, you might end up with a few extra stitches at the end of your decreases but just complete those as normal and the row should have the right number of stitches! Let me know if this helps you or if you need more explaining. :)

Jen

That is my take on it too.

:hook Work the decrease over the 4th and 5th sts by doing all but the last movement of each stitch then completing the two together.

:hook On each of the next decrease rows, you should be able to see where to do them.

:hook This bit is under the brim so no-one will see it as it is only the flap to hold the stiffener for the brim, well that is how I read it.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen

Oh thanks so much, that all makes perfect sense!

I will try it as soon as I get home!:hook

I cant wait to finish this hat, it is really cool looking with the spiral and all :clap

~Chicki

Archived