I need help with my pattern, King Cole 3055

LucyJayne

Question

I'm making a tunic. I have almost finished but I'm now stuck on the dreaded 'making up'.

It would help if the pattern was in plain simple English but I guess that would be too easy :)

Anyway where I'm having difficulty it says:

"Sew sleeves in position, sewing last 5 rows of sleeve to cast off sts at armhole shaping."

I just don't understand! It doesn't make any sense. How I read it is that, the last 5 rows of the sleeve I worked has to be sewn on the slip stitches where I've done the armhole shaping, but that's just ridiculous and I know it's not right.

I have uploaded a photo of the pattern so you can see what I'm making.

I have tried fitting the sleeve in but it doesn't look right.

It's driving me mad! :think

post-67974-0-79755400-1374952293_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

hi, welcome to the ville :hook

on the King Cole site http://www.kingcole.co.uk/knitting-patterns/crochet/cardigan-and-tunic.html is a photo that you can enlarge by mousing over.  it appears to be a set-in sleeve.  I would fold the sleeve in half, find and mark the midpoint, then match that to the shoulder seam.  Ease the sleeve edge around the armhole and pin it in a few places, then sew the sleeve in.  That should work.  

Can you snap a photo of your work?  Armhole and sleeve?

I agree with Kathy, set-in sleeves are usually more or less bell shaped and the top of the bell goes at the shoulder seam, the wider end under the arm.  Folding in half, matching to shoulder and side seam and easing around should work...

But, I agree the directions seem upside down.

I assume the "cast off" (odd term for crochet in the US) edge of the blouse is the underarm area.  The only way that it would make sense to sew the LAST rows of the sleeve to the underarm area would be if the sleeve was made from the shoulder down.  But, it doesn't appear to be constructed that way by looking at the zoomed view.  :think

Thanks for your help :) I've done what you've said finding the middle and matching up to the seam.

It seems to have worked and is looking right so far!

I'm off on holiday for a week tomorrow so I can't get on with it till I get back.

Archived