how to turn a graph into filet crochet

mcnerlin

Question

I have a graph of a firetruck that i want to turn into a filet crochet pattern for a baby outfit anyone know how to do that . any help will be appreciated  thanks

3 answers to this question

I saw your graph on the other post.  This pattern should be fairly straightforward.

Do you know how to do filet, to start with?   I recommend checking out Smart Crochet or Haas Design sites for tutorials.  They explain the technique in terms that best explain the construction and stitch counting.  Steer clear of tutorials that tell you that stitches are 'shared', that is just confusing (not to mention, untrue).

Haas design -

http://www.hassdesign.com/BasicFiletTechniques/

Smart Crochet - link is to first page of several

http://www.smartcrochet.com/tutorial.shtml

The black grids are filled meshes, the white ones are open meshes (or you could do the reverse, if you want).  Most modern filet patterns are just the graph with no (or very little) written instructions except maybe how many to chain for the start, which the links I gave you can help you figure out.

I count 36 meshes across the bottom.  Do you want to make a border of empty meshes around the truck?  Or maybe empty meshes close to the truck, and a solid outer border? 

If you are making the graph just like the pic, and assuming you are starting at the bottom - notice that the first mesh on either side is open.  Look at the Smart Crochet site - second page of the tutorial - it explains how many to chain when the first mesh is open: (number of meshes x 3) plus 6.  36 x 3 is 108, plus 6 is 114.  Work DC into the 8th chain from the hook.  The skipped 7 chains create the bottom (2 chains), side (3 chains), top (2 chains) of the open mesh, the DC in the 8th chain completes the other side.

If you want to add a border, just apply the above formula to however many meshes you want; only difference is if the first mesh is filled, you add 4 not 6 and dc into the 4th chain from the hook.

As you know if you've worked filet before, you work the even rows in one direction, the odd ones in another; it doesn't matter which but I usually start row 1 working right to left.

Just an aside, if you have trouble with the link for Smart Crochet, google it, go to the main page, and choose the filet tutorial from the menu at the left.  My link was wonky today for some reason.

Archived