Top Down Shawl - Free Red Heart Pattern - Need Help

yarnjeannie

Question

Has anyone tried to work this shawl? I think row 3 is incorrect. I have tried it a number of times, and had to add chain 1 spaces and reverse the order of the second half of the third row to get it to row 4.

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/top-down-shawl

It's a beautiful shawl, and I can't wait to finish it. I just don't know if I am doing something wrong or if there is an error in the pattern. I think it's the pattern...

Has anyone else run into problems with this pattern?

3 answers to this question

I haven't done this pattern, but there's definitely an error in row 3 if the two sides are supposed to be a mirror image of each other. You could contact Red Heart --which sometimes takes a while to get results--this seems to be a new pattern. You might try drawing the pattern out on graph paper.

It seems to need a ch 1 deleted after the stitches in the previous row ch 3. Then at the end it looks like it's missing a ch 1 before the last () in the beginning ch 3 of row 2. My doodles got too cramped at this point to be able to go on to row 4 and see what happens! It's late and this may not make any sense, but good luck with it!

Mona, Row 4 also gave me problems. I'm winging it - I will post when I finish it, because it is a beautiful shawl according to the photo. I just sent an e-mail off to Red Heart to let them know there is a problem with it. I hope they post a correction and don't just pull the pattern down. It would be a shame if others wouldn't have access to it.

In order to work the pattern on row 3, I didn't delete the ch 1 but added one on the first side and then reversed the directions on the opposite side of the dc,ch 3, dc in the center. It was the only way to make the 6 repeats of dc work on row 4. From here on out, I will just make sure the number of stitches matches on each side.

Thanks for looking at this for me!

I think the biggest thing is for the sides to match and just repeat the same pattern with increases. I have been amazed over the years at the patterns from yarn companies that don't seem to have been properly tested before they issue them. I agree that it's a very pretty shawl--I've put it on my extensive to-do list.

Archived