How to adjust a pattern for a different weight yarn?

Stan's mum

Question

Hello Crochetvillers,

I want to crochet a shawl but I cannot source the correct weight of yarn, so I am considering crocheting it in a finer yarn, but I do not know how to go about adjusting the pattern so that the finished product will be of a similar size. Can anyone help?

The pattern is from the Happy Hooker page 106 (Sweet Pea Shawl). The pattern is made up of the following shell; (Dtr, [ch2,dtr] 4 times) in same stitch. You start off with 202 ch and decrease one shell per row. The finished product measures 58” wide x 35” deep, excluding the fringe.

The pattern requires medium (worsted) weight mercerized cotton yarn, which as far as I know is 10 ply. I can only source 8 ply mercerized (DK) mercerized cotton yarn in my local yarn shops (I’m based in rural UK). There are plenty of 10 ply cotton yarns about, but the shawl is for a special occasion, so I feel it would look better with the slight sheen of mercerized cotton.

Can anyone suggest how I go about adjusting the pattern accordingly, so I don't end up with a handkerchief sized shawl?

Yours in anticipation,

W :hi

4 answers to this question

The "right" way is, of course, an in pattern swatch and a lot of math.

However, if your pattern goes straight into the motif from the base chain, there is also an easier, lazier way.

Line 6 of my Yarn Label Xref shows Crochet Stitches in a 10cm square. 

Let's say you want to replace the

No. 4 - 10ply, light worsted   which crochets at about 12 in a 10cm swatch

with a

No. 2 - 4ply = crochets in the 16 stitches.

or a difference of 25%

So I would chain and additional 25-30% of chains (I always allow extra because a few feet even yards of yarn is a lot less valuable than your time)

So your pattern wants 202, for the No 2 4 ply  (Sirdar has lots of these) so you would chain an additional 50 stitches.

NOW, you work, in pattern across the row until you have the width you want, work another motif or two, follow your pattern instructions for how to finish the row begin the next row. 

There may be some unexpected results - it may be either wider or narrower than the 36 inch mentioned in your pattern.

Additional thought, you likely already know that that you will need to be sure which style of stitches are being used (US vx UK terminology - but it never hurts to double check. 

Thank you for your replies.

With your help, I've calculated that I'll need an extra 4 shells/40 stitches in my chain and I should be using a 4.5mm hook. I'll also need an extra ball of yarn..... off to the shops on Monday  :D

Archived