Trying to make a star in a circle

mgoldrich

Question

My boyfriend wants me to crochet him a new kippah (Jewish head covering) based on one he had before that has gotten torn beyond repair. I have been trying to recreate the center of the kippah but I cannot do it so that the star looks good and it results in a good even circle around it. Any ideas on how to do this?

post-67546-0-23749400-1370285193_thumb.jpg

post-67546-0-15147200-1370285184_thumb.jpg

7 answers to this question

Well it is really starting out as a hexagon. You have a beginning circle of sc, then 3dc cluster sts separated by some chain sts. Next round is all dc.

I dont know of a pattern just like this. But look in Edie Eckman's motif book, i think you will find things you can use to start. Also i think Crochetcabana site has good recipe for a hat, to go beyond the central motif.

Unfortunately that five pointed pattern is not going to work for this. The way the points are made is not compatible with adding the chains between points.

Maybe add another row, sc in each of the points, then do 4-5 chains (or whatever is needed) between points

Perhaps googling "star center motif' may give some more patterns that will work, too. I think I've used a similar center in some doilies.

Archived