Baby sweater help!

Crochetnewbie50

Question

Hello crochetville!

I have been trying to crochet a babysweater by using the instructions below and I have run into some problems.

I have finished the first part: waistband and now I should start with front right. There is one part that reads:

"work inner (armhole) edge straight but continue decreases as before until there remain shoulder (15 stitches)"

The English in this pattern isn't all that good and I can't figure out how to go on. Do I continue on the already crochetted waistband? or do I start with a new part and stitch it on whenever it's done?

This is the first time I am trying a sweater and while I do have some experience with crochetting I could really use your help for this one! :)

In the attachement you can find what I have already finished.

http://www.freevintagecrochet.com/baby-patterns/spool224/baby-sweater-no5310-pattern

PS: I speak Dutch, I undestand English perfectly but if by any chance you speak Dutch you can always send me a pm with some help on this topic! 

post-67480-0-75081000-1369591652_thumb.jpg

post-67480-0-73581400-1369591662_thumb.jpg

post-67480-0-11213500-1369591673_thumb.jpg

post-67480-0-20968400-1369591684_thumb.jpg

3 answers to this question

Welcome to Crochetville! 

It's telling you that you started to decrease the front for both the neckline and the armhole on opposite sides of the same row. After 4 or 5 rows (depending on the size) you stop decreasing on the armhole side so further rows will straight (vertical).  However, you still continue to decrease on the neckline side to create the V - shape.

Sometimes vintage patterns can be a challenge to even native English readers.  More modern patterns tend to carefully explain every step more than vintage ones.  I notice your pattern doesn't include stitch gauge, either, which might be a challenge to get the right size since the I'm not sure what the specified yarn and 'bone hook size 3' are equivalent to in modern terms...

Edit, I found this for bone hooks http://www.antiquepatternlibrary.org/html/warm/convhook.htm, it looks like 3.25 mm for size 3 bone hook.

Good luck! I look at Vintage patterns, but sometimes I'd swear they are written in an alien language!

Archived