Most often used thread size for Irish Crochet motifs?

riversilt

Question

Hi,

I have a  lot of what I am guessing is about size 20 cotton thread and would like to use it on Irish Crochet motifs.  But I don't know if it matters the size of thread?  In the archived books they talk about really fine thread and thicker core thread, but I have not read what size they are talking about when they say "fine".  Is it 80 or higher, I hope I can use the size 20 thread.  I have a lot of it, way to much for just doilies.  Irish Crochet has piqued my interest for some time.  :)

3 answers to this question

What are you going to use the motifs for?  If you are making up your own design, i would think you can use whatever size thread you want.  

Or do you want to be historically accurate and use what the original Irish Crocheters used?

I am thinking I would build pieces to use as accents.  I suppose it would just depend on the base I am attaching what ever it is I come up with.  I have not read reference to thread size in the pricilla books.  I suppose I just don't want to break some cardinal rule for lack of a better word.  Possibilities are endless.  Thanks 

I am thinking I would build pieces to use as accents.  I suppose it would just depend on the base I am attaching what ever it is I come up with.  I have not read reference to thread size in the pricilla books.  I suppose I just don't want to break some cardinal rule for lack of a better word.  Possibilities are endless.  Thanks 

It sounds like you are not going to be tied to any "rules"  So yes, endles possibilities

It would seen that you need to consider the base so that your thread work is not over or under whelmed.

I have used everything from sewing thread to bulky weight cottons - it just means a little swatching to see what size hook will produce a secure fabric. 

Archived