herringbone stitch

bsarends

Question

i am wanting to start on an herringbone afghan but i cannot for the life of me understand it

*** chain three miss next three hdc. 1 dtr in next hdc.  Working in front of last dtr, 1 dc in each of 3 missed hdc.  Repeat. 

So no matter how i try to do this it just dont turn out right.  It sounds pretty explanatory but i am just not getting it.  Can any one please help me....... :reyes

5 answers to this question

it is this pattern, correct? http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=2615&cps=21191

here it is on ravelry, looking at the close up photos in some of the projects may help http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/herringbone-afghan-to-crochet

What you are making is a kind of crossed stitch, same idea as a crocheted cable.  just do exactly what it says ---

after you chain three, skip over the next 3 hdc.  then make a dtr in the next stitch.  then go back and put a dc in each of the skipped hdc, these will lie in front of the dtr.  

Think of it as working the 4 stitches out of order. 

Counting as we crochet, from right to left, we usually crochet stitch 1, stitch 2, stitch 3 etc. 

Here you will be making stitch 4, stitch 1, stitch 2, stitch 3.

When you make crossed stitches, you can either reach your hook to go over the front of the gap between stitch 4 and where it came from to stick the hook into the spot to create stitch 1, or you can reach behind the gap.  Be consistent, each produces a different look.

Thank you so much for the help.  I was going over top of the treble to do the doubles and i know that just didnt look right!  It is funny how the company said it was an easy pattern.  Sometimes i just cant make my mind wrap around it.  I got it with yall's help!! thanks again!!

Archived