Pentagon Baby Blanket

Akela011

Question

Before I start let me say that I totally suck at following patterns (never been able to read them) and everything I've made has been self taught sometimes with help from youtube.  So I'm fusterated at the moment with my current project.

Recently I made a large baby blanket in the pattern of a solid pentagon for my boss and his wife.  I enjoyed the project and found that it was quick and simple.  Another co-worker/friend(s) of mine are having their first baby (gender unknown) that will be due in November. 

I wanted to do another pentagon shaped blanket.  Instead of doing one large blanket I was going to make several small multi coloured pentagons and then just crochet them together.  The wool that I'm using is Bernat Giggles in 4 different colours (blue, green, pink, and white).  The colours for the middle of the pentagon and the white for the outside of the pentagon. 

I have done so far 20 blue middles and 7 green ones and I am just now realizing that I will not be able to crochet them together without it laying flat, or without having weird shapped holes in the blanket.

Am I doing something wrong here?  Or is this how it's suppose to be?

4 answers to this question

I think thats why you see triangle, square, hexagon and octagon motifs but not pentagons; it seems to me I tried that once and discovered it wouldn't work. 

One option, that I'm borrowing from lace tablecloth assembly, would turn the pentagons into circles, perhaps by working out a pattern of chain loops going around the pentagon for a couple of rounds.  Then, connect them either in rows or offset.

Some tablecloths had small 'filler' motifs which were used to connect the bigger motifs, which might be an option especially if you connect them in rows.  I'll try to find some pictures to illustrate.

example of round motifs joined offset - no filler pattern 

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/picot-and-pinwheel-tablecover

Example of round motifs joined in rows with filler motif

http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/star-wheel-744

Another thought is you could turn the pentagons into more solid circles by making 'hills' between the corners with ever higher stitches then back down again, like sc-hdc-dc-tr-dtr-tr-dc-hdc-sc.  But you would still end up with gaps and/or a somewhat lacy filling.

Archived