My foundation chain is wavy, and my project has curled!

Lolabean

Question

I am kind of new to crocheting; I have done a few projects and have never had a problem like this. I started a scarf and as soon as I added a sing crochet row to the foundation chain I could see a wave with the peek every 10 stiches. I thought it would even out as soon as I started to add rows to it but I just started to curl around itself and continued to do so even after adding multiple rows. I decided to use a different yarn thinking that it might have just been of poor quality and my new project is starting to do the same thing! I have no idea how to fix and would greatly appreciate anyone's help. Thanks!

4 answers to this question

Hi,

When I first started to crochet, I would make my beginning chain very tight.  That would make everything curl.

Then i used a larger hook to make the beginning chain.  If i needed a H hook for the project, i used an I hook for the chain.

Now i can have enough "give" to the yarn. It took me time. 

You don't say if you are making a "shell" type pattern, then you may notice a wave...

don't fret....this is the most helpful site i found.  Everyone here is so nice.

Rows of single crochet have a tendency to curl. It's not just you. When you edge it, or put 2 pieces together, or add fringe, it straightens.

If you crochet tightly, it will curl more. Loosen up or go to a larger hook. It gets better with practice.

Archived