Confusing Pattern

rms

Question

I'm trying to start the Lace Ripple Afghan in the abc-knitting-patterns.com website.  Beginning instructions are unclear.  When I finish Row 1 and start Row 2, the stitches don't coincide with the first row.  Am I reading the pattern wrong?  If anyone could help me, it would be awesome.

8 answers to this question

so it is this pattern, correct?  http://www.abc-knitting-patterns.com/1181.html

i haven't tried it, but there is a pretty clear closeup photo which is always helpful, and a stitch symbol diagram, which is the most helpful thing.  Did you try using the diagram?  

Yes, that's the pattern.  I've tried to follow the diagram.  It's just that when I finish the first row and start the second, the stitiches don't fall correctly.  In other words the 2 dc ch 3 2 dc on the second row are off.  I'm thinking I'm doing the beginning row wrong, and I'm not sure how Row 1 is supposed to end.

well, duh, i didn't notice that the diagram doesn't include the very ends of the rows!  Ok row 1 ends with " (dc, ch 1, dc) in the last ch."

but now that i am looking at it closely, row 2 in the diagram is not right.  Or at least it doesn't correspond to the written row 2.  

In all honesty i have to say that i have noticed that patterns on this particular site seem to have a lot of problems, like they havent been tested or anything.  

So i would look for a different pattern if i were you.  i personally find that ripples are a bit challenging to get started and I need a really clear pattern to follow.  The book 200 Ripple Patterns by Jan Eaton seems to be quite reliable; it lacks diagrams but is clearly worded and has good photos.  you might look at your local library for it, and see if you like any of the patterns in it.  I think if you look at Amazon in the look inside feature you can see thumbnails of all the patterns (half or so are knitted).  

Also i think Crochet Today magazine had a pattern with the filet-type row, let me see if i can find that.  

here is the pattern i was thinking of http://www.ravelry.com/patterns/library/seashore-afghan

in the magazine there is a diagram, but for whatever reason the free pattern does not include it.  But there are some pretty closeup pics on the projects so that should help some.  it is not as straightforward as it could be, there are rows of sc, and sc, ch1, among the rows of dc and dc, ch1.  

200 Ripple Stitches has a nice pattern, on page53.  it is a row of dc then a row of dc, ch1 so it has the nice openwork look.  it is called Scandinavian Stripes when worked in several colors, and Oslo Dusk in one color.  it is pattern #72 or 73 in the book.

i hope this is somewhat helpful, sorry i am not better at deciphering the abc pattern.  

MagicCrochetfan: Thanks for your help -- I thought I was losing my mind, but if you found it unworkable that must be it.  I'm really sorry because I really like that pattern and I've already bought the yarn.  Thanks again!

I think I came up with a way to work the pattern.  I'll send my details once I've figured it all out.

Archived