My 7 year old wants to learn....

Hooker

Question

What is the best way to teach her. It has been so long since I have been taught (I was about her age). I know I will just start with a chain and not move on to rows until she masters chaining.

However, how can I simplify holding the hook and yarn for her so she doesn't feel like she's all thumbs?

She said it looks like magic to her, and I know when it clicks she'll be hooked.

4 answers to this question

Start her off with fingerknitting with 8ply (DK) yarn, until she can get that looking even, then progress to about a 4mm hook and let her make lots of chains until she can get that looking even.

The best stitch to teach first is SCs along the chain.

Remember to point out to her that every stitch, done in crochet, is just a variation of the CH.

I learned to do SCs in the round when I was about 7, learning a bit of increasing in the process.

My Grandma use to make two circles which she sewed together part way around for Powder Compact covers. This was back in ancient times, about 1949.:eek

I have never forgotten those first lessons.

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen:sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump :sheepjump I love thes skipping sheep.

I have been teaching a lot of my coworkers and SC is a great beginning. I make them do a 12x12 row of that minimum before they can learn anything else for the teatcher to judge.

I also have taught a group of teenagers who live in a lockdown facility and it is different teaching kids, but not dramarically so.

I try to convey to them that they are artists now. That helps them to take pride in what they are doing and not take it for granted.

I show them the different ways I know of holding the hook and let them decide what is comfortable for them.

I also stress to my students that it is just yarn. Anything they do not like and any mistakes can be reworked.

With my coworkers and the kids both, I explain how for me, it is therapy and relaxing. If it is not relaxing me at any time or if I am not liking it for some reason, I put it down and go back to it later.

My biggest challenge is that most peeps I teach are right handed and I am left. If this is a concern, have the student face you. Makes it a little easier.

ANd please, make having fun the priority. No letting your 7 year old stress you out!!

I am teaching a friend of mine now and I have also taught both of my step daughters, 6 and 8, and the biggest problem once they get the stitches figured out is keeping their stitch count right. I guess it has something to do with knowing where to put their stitches but you should stress counting stitches on every row until they get the hang of it. Someone made a wonderful suggestion when I posted here for beginner projects for my girsl, Make a scarf out of each stitch that they learn and when they get several done sew them togeather to make a blanket or throw, It will be special even if it's not purfect couse it was made with what she learned with.

Another idea is for you to crochet a few rows and let her start with single crochet. That way she sees some success right away. Making the chain can be difficult to start off with, esp. for a very young person. If she has that piece in hand, it will be easier to hold. You know how a chain flip flops around sometimes. :-)

If she has trouble with the hook she starts with, have a different size hook ready. In other words, if she begins with a large hook and has trouble, try a smaller hook. Or vice versa. I have found beginners like a large hook, but each person is different.

Above all, be patient and give encouragement wherever possible, though of course correct where necessary.

Good luck! Remember if things don't go well, she is still young and you can try again later.

Archived