What does "work even" in crochet mean?

lizzyscreations

Question

9 answers to this question

It means to keep repeating the row you just did. Whatever pattern you have set up so far, keep doing the same thing.

If you need more detail, tell us what the pattern is so we can refer to it to give a better answer:hook

I do know the basic understanding of what "work even" means, but with this pattern, I am not sure if I should just single crochet until the item measures 10" or actually do the rows 14-17 up till it measures 10". Also, I am sure I can calculate what the wrong side would be but if anyone could possibly double-check for me what it is supposed to be I would appreciate it.

Here is the pattern:

Ch 27.

Row 1 (Right Side): Sc in 2nd ch from hook and in next

ch, [2 sc in next ch, sc in next 2 ch] 8 times – 34 sc.

Row 2: Ch 1, turn, sc in each sc across.

Row 3: Ch 1, turn, 2 sc in first sc, sc across to last sc, 2 sc

in last sc – 36 sc.

Rows 4-13: Repeat Rows 2-3 for 5 more times – 46 sc.

Rows 14-16: Repeat Row 2.

Row 17: Repeat Row 3 – 48 sc.

Repeat Rows 14-17 twice more – 52 sc.

Work even piece measures 10” from beginning, end with a

wrong side row.

welcome to the ville!

Once you have 52 stitches, just work even, do not increase any more, until it measures 10". Row 3/17 is where the increases are so do not repeat that row any more.

I don't think it really matters if you end on a "wrong" or "right" side row, it will look the same either way, but since row 1 is designated as right side, then the even-numbered rows are the wrong side.  

http://www.redheart.com/free-patterns/crochet-hobo-bag  is the pattern, right?  

Archived