Increasing and Decreasing Basketweave Stitch

rolling_backpack

Question

Hi everyone! I recently learned how to do a basketweave stitch, and would like to learn how to increase and decrease. I tried looking on youtube, but I wasn't sure which videos would teach how to do this the best. Do any of you have any suggestions of which videos are best, or a good website to learn this from? Thanks so much!!:manyheart

2 answers to this question

I can't say I've tried to inc or dec in basketweave, but what I would try is:

For increase, add a dc in one row and then make a front-or back-post stitch around it in the next row, depending how it would look best in your pattern.

For decrease, like a 'dc-2-tog' but instead '(front and/or back)post stitch-2-tog', again depending on your pattern.

This is a little out of the ordinary so you might not find a video, and the details really depend on what you are making. For example, if you are increasing for a garment, like a sleeve, I'd do it on the sides. If you are making a hat crown it would be tricker, you would be creating a design where the increases would look best (new basket weave strips could be 'growing' from the sides of existing strips, or getting fatter and splitting, or just making the crown 'plain' and start the basket weave when you start to work even--whatever look you want).

I can't say I've tried to inc or dec in basketweave, but what I would try is:

For increase, add a dc in one row and then make a front-or back-post stitch around it in the next row, depending how it would look best in your pattern.

For decrease, like a 'dc-2-tog' but instead '(front and/or back)post stitch-2-tog', again depending on your pattern.

This is a little out of the ordinary so you might not find a video, and the details really depend on what you are making. For example, if you are increasing for a garment, like a sleeve, I'd do it on the sides. If you are making a hat crown it would be tricker, you would be creating a design where the increases would look best (new basket weave strips could be 'growing' from the sides of existing strips, or getting fatter and splitting, or just making the crown 'plain' and start the basket weave when you start to work even--whatever look you want).

Thank you so much! This worked great for me! I'm doing coffee mug cozies and needed it to "grow" going upwards...worked great! :)

Archived