edging squares

superfurry

Question

can anyone help with the problems i'm having edging squares? (i.e. just putting scs all the way round). i did a quick search but couldn't find anything as utterly basic as this.

the tops and bottoms aren't a problem as i can see the stitches and do one in each, but what do you do down the sides? say you have rows of dc, where do you put the scs in, and how many do you put in per row? do you try to work them in through the existing stitches or around them (if that makes sense)?

perhaps it's about time i got myself a how to crochet book :)

4 answers to this question

I usually go by how it looks. I try to evenly space it and make sure that it doesn't look too crowded or spaced out. And if you are using an edging pattern make it have the correct multiple. I don't think there is a hard and fast rule on it. If I am wrong would love to know what it is!!

I work through the side stitches--I've tried working around them but I tend to get unattractive gaps that way. So I just work through them, and usually there end up being places where it's comfortable to stick the hook through, and places where it feels & looks weird--I just try to stick with the places where it looks right and stitch evenly along the sides.

thanks for the the help. i think i've ben trying to put too many stitches in, and i think i'm working too close as well, focusing on the individual stitches rather than looking at how it's looking overall. i don't have any more immediate plans to do squares but hopefully next time i do i'll be that much better with more practice that it'll just click.

Archived