Project Linus

ambshp

I have been making afghans for Project Linus for over ten years. They do

great things. The afghans go to Children receiving long tern care such as

cancer,burns and others. They also accept small afghans for nurseries.

If you visit their site you can read stories from families whose children have

received afghans. They also give you chapter contacts. I believe they are

now in most of the United States.:)

One thing I've never understood about Project Linus and maybe someone here can answer:

As a quilter, we're told to use *only* cotton fabrics and preferably cotton-based battings for the children's quilts due to fire hazards. But for knitted and crocheted afghans, we're requested to use acrylic yarns for washability.

Now, acrylic = polyester, precisely the kind of fiber that the Linus Project requests quilters NOT to use due to fire hazards.

Can anyone shed light on this apparent contradiction?

Thank you!

DCM

One thing I've never understood about Project Linus and maybe someone here can answer:

As a quilter, we're told to use *only* cotton fabrics and preferably cotton-based battings for the children's quilts due to fire hazards. But for knitted and crocheted afghans, we're requested to use acrylic yarns for washability.

Now, acrylic = polyester, precisely the kind of fiber that the Linus Project requests quilters NOT to use due to fire hazards.

Can anyone shed light on this apparent contradiction?

Thank you!

DCM

As far as yarn goes, the three main and economical choices would be acrylic, wool or cotton. Cotton doesn't make for a very warm or soft blanket. Wool can cause allergies and is difficult to clean. So that leaves the acrylic yarn. I really can't answer for the fire safety issues. I'm not sure that acrylic yarn melts like a polyester fabric would. But I honestly don't know that for sure.

Archived