Can someone help me with the bobble stitch?

Niccers

Question

Im making the Bernat Baby Coordinates Bobble Crochet afghan for a friend. This bobble stitch really is confusing me. (Im still a crochet newbie for the most part)

http://www.bernat.com/pattern.php?PID=167

Is the bobble also known by another name like Popcorn or Puff?

For the stitch glossary it says this on the pattern:

Bobble= working in front of work, work 5 tr in ch 1 sp 2 rows below until 1 loop of each tr rem on hook. Yoh and draw through all 6 loops on hook.

(I understand that I have to leave a loop on my hook when making my tr's (I guess they mean treble crochet??) and then draw through, but how?)

Does anyone know of a good link to the Bobble? Crochet Cabana is usually my lifesaver but they dont have a bobble stitch listed. Neither does stitchguide.

Thanks for you help in advance, ladies.

EDIT: Okay Im a moron. I found someones thread about the bobble being the basically the same as the popcorn in the stitch guide above, but they say use DC and this pattern says tr. Can someone explain this to me please?

2 answers to this question

You are using the TRs to make the bobble because you are working it into the row below the one you are working on so it needs to be longer to keep your work flat and even.

To make the bobble, you just do 5 incomplete TRs into the same spot, which happens to be one row below, then complete them in one go which needs the twist of the wrist to do.

Once you have done a few, you will be more comfortable with it.

Practice on some other yarn so you are not un-ravelling your good stuff.

You dont need all the stitches, just do about 20 chain and do the row before the bobbles, then turn and work the start of the bobble row and just do bobbles right across the piece, maybe with a Dc between them, just to get the feel for them.:hook :hook :hook

Hope this is helpful.

Colleen.

Archived