Bag Linen

I made a beautiful bag (aren't all our projects beautiful?) for a submission. I had the great idea to linen the bag. It took me 2 hours to make the bag and more than 3 hours to linen the thing!!!

Is it just me or is it really (and i mean really) hard to linen bags? It still looks awful inside. Does one need to take sewing classes for this? I give up. Will never make it again. I almost quit crocheting!!!

I haven't made many bags because I'm skeered of lining them LOL I have one bag that I made ages ago but never have lined because I couldn't figure out how to go about it (it's a drawstring bag so I couldn't figure out what size/shape pieces of fabric to use) but I mostly use it as a little wrist bag to toss a few things in, so it doesn't strictly have to be lined.

I'm almost finished with a bag right now and I'm going to line it, I swear I am! (This one is a more regular shape so I at least know where to start with the fabric pieces.) I asked about lining here a while back and got lots of helpful advice that I printed out, so I just have to sit myself down and do it.

The machine-sewing the lining pieces together isn't what I'm worried about mostly, it's the hand-sewing the lining to the bag. I'm really not good at hand-sewing! I think I need to do some practicing before I inflice my terrible hand-sewing skills on this bag ;)

But, don't you have to sew the fabric to the bag first and then sew the bag together? The seam is in the inside and it shows. The bags I've seen are seamless!

Do you have pictues of this procedure Rebecca? If so, can you share? I would like to include your tip - I'm making a tutorial, for my newsletter.

I was petrified of lining bags, my sewing skills are limited to sewing buttons on (and even then not so prettily rofl) but I made a bag and it really needed a lining.... my neighbor happens to sew a lot, so I begged her assistance (ok so I bribed her with a crocheted hat and scarf *g*)

I watched her every move and kept notes ;)

First she got a piece of paper and set the bag on it (upright) and traced the bottom to make a pattern. She then laid that on the fabric and marked it (chalk) then cut it out.

Next she measured the circ. of the bag, wrote that down. Then the height of the bag, wrote that down.

Next she laid out the fabric and measured out a piece that was as long as the circ. and as high as the height (adding a bit for seam allowance) and cut that out.

Then she pinned the long piece together (fold in half) and sewed a seam. Then she sewed the bottom piece to the piece she'd just sewed. That part took some careful pinning, but she did it pretty easily.

Then, with the piece wrong side out, she started sewing it to the inside of the bag. She used small stitches and (hope I explain this right, if not, Rebecca might come to the rescue lol) backstitched.... meaning make a stitch, then insert the needle at the halfway point of the stitch just made and go forward past the stitch about the same length you went backwards. Continue around to starting point.

Now push the finished lining inside your finished bag =)

Now, granted I haven't actually *done* this myself yet, but that's what my neighbor did and the bag looks great, the stitches are *invisible!* and I was in awe of her skill. (I later found out she had never "learned" to sew, she just does what feels right, never followed a pattern or read a book or website one!)

Hope this helps!

Ladies, wonderful help. I will do what Rebecca sugested and buy a cheap one and take it apart to 'see' the secret.

Marvie, your explanation was..well, perfect. I think i finally got it and i will try it out as soon as my paranoia goes away or finish some heavy school homework (whichever comes first).

Then I will make a step by step tutorial with pictures for my newsletter.

By the way, I finished the bikinis for the next newsletter, must say, pretty proud of self.

Raynelda

Archived