??? for Published Designers

kraftynkrazy

Question

I am working on some designs that I am interested to see if I can get published. I have never attempted this before and have a few questions.

About pattern testing: Can I get testers prior to submitting the pattern or do I submit to the publisher and let them test it?

Can I submit a design for publication that I have previously posted pictures of on the internet?

Does anyone know how publishers generally pay for a single pattern? What about a grouping of patterns on a certain theme?

Are most publishers responsive when you send them a submission and how long do you usually wait for a response before submitting it elsewhere?

I know this is a lot of questions, but I could really use the input of experienced designers so I know what I can do and what I can expect. Thanks for looking this over.

:hug

3 answers to this question

You may want to consider taking our class Designing for Print Publication the next time we offer it, as we cover many of these things in detail.

The class will probably be offered again in August or October.

Since all publishers have different preferences and requirements there are no hard and fast "across the board" rules. Check out websites of some of the publications you are interested in. You'll find that many of them have general guidelines posted right there on the site. (F.Y.I. Magazines are generally the best place for a new designer to make their first approach.)

Also, if you are not already a member, CGOA is a very valuable "tool" for anyone wanting to break in to the design business. Be sure to check out their Associate Professional program and request a mentor. There are no additional charges as long as your dues are current.

Good luck in your venture!

>About pattern testing: Can I get testers prior to submitting the pattern >or do I submit to the publisher and let them test it?

Published patterns, at least for magazines, are rarely tested, generally just tech edited. You are almost never submitting a finished pattern, generally just a swatch or photo and description. You might be able to have someone privately test a pattern for you, but keep in mind that you generally only have 4 to 6 weeks from acceptance till due date.

>Can I submit a design for publication that I have previously posted >pictures of on the internet?

Generally, no.

>Does anyone know how publishers generally pay for a single pattern? >What about a grouping of patterns on a certain theme?

Varies based on complexity and rights agreement. For a grouping of patterns you are probably talking a booklet deal.

>Are most publishers responsive when you send them a submission and >how long do you usually wait for a response before submitting it >elsewhere?

It varies. Many will include something in their submission guidelines to let you know. I've had responses as quick as 3 days and some as long as 6 months. Some places do not respond if your proposal is rejected. Check their guidelines.

>I know this is a lot of questions, but I could really use the input of >experienced designers so I know what I can do and what I can expect.

I second the recommendation on the designing for print publication class. I know Mary Beth Temple does a great one. The CGOA can also set you up with a mentor if you apply for Associate Professional Status.

Archived