Help with baby "Sacque"

Leanne

Question

I'm making a layette set for my friend who's having her first baby. I don't have a lot of experience at crocheting, and I've ran into some trouble with the sacque coat I'm making and need some help.

I've already made the yolk area, but now I need to make the body. For row 1 these are the instructions:

Ch 5 (counts as first dc plus ch 2, now and throughout), turn; skip next sc, sc in next sc, skip next 2 sc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next sc, skip next 2 sc, sc in next sc, * ch 3, skip next sc, sc in next sc, skip next 2 sc, (2 dc, ch 2, 2 dc) in next sc, skip next 2 sc, sc in next sc; repeat from * across to last 2 sc, ch 2, skip next sc, dc in last sc: 104 sts and 35 sps.

Phew. Okay so I'm a little confused. :think I began by chaining 5 and then adding 2 to the chain. Then I turn and work back down the chain. But then I run out of links to work on. When it says (at the star) to chain 3, then skip a sc, then sc in next sc do I work back down the 3 chain without turning? I'm a little confused. Can someone help me out or show me what my row should look like?

Thanks in advance for any help! :)

4 answers to this question

First, if you chained of a total of 7...I think it should be 5...The first three equal a double crochet in heighth...and two chains to begin the pattern.

Now..I'm a little confused too...Did you happen to crochet a "foundation row" before the instructions of Row 1...or is this pattern continuing from the yoke area?

That will make a difference of what comes next.

Best of Luck...PM me if you would like.

Hi!

First, the first ch5 you make includes the ch 3 (equal to dc) plus 2 ch, so you needn't chain another 2.

I'm guessing you are continuing to work from the yoke and haven't fastened off. So your row will be into the sts of the last row on your yoke.

Does that help?:think

:think You start with CH 5 which stand as 1Dc and 2 CH. (DO NOT DO ANOTHER 2 CH.)

You do not work back down the Chain, but work into the appropriate stitch on your previous row.

:think The beginning and end of the next few rows is probably the armhole shaping, then you will eventually join it together to carry on through the bodice, then to the skirt.

:think Yell if you need more help.

Have fun.

Colleen:hug

Wow, you girls are all a ray of hope. :hook At the end of the yolk, it says "do not finish off". I assumed that I would begin the body seperate and attach them together at the end. But I realize now I need to keep working onto the yolk.

And the Ch 5 makes sense now to me. Thanks everyone for your help. I will give that a try and let you know if I have any other troubles.

Thanks again!!! :clap

Archived